Aboriginal paintings on basalt

alice buhrich

Nov 29, 2016, 11:16:36 PM11/29/16
to OzArch
Hello Ozarchers

Can anyone help enlighten me with examples of Indigenous rock art painted on basalt?.

I am familiar with the sites around Russell River, however, I haven't found any records of paintings on basalt in Australia outside the rainforests of north Queensland.

I gather there are a lot of basalt petroglyphs, inside and outside Australia, but there doesn't appear to be too many examples of Indigenous paintings on basalt.

Any suggestions of places, books or articles about painted basalt rock art would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Alice Buhrich