Mt Williams Glencoe

Val Attenbrow

Aug 17, 2015, 7:24:29 PM8/17/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com, Allison Dejanovic

The Australian Museum Archaeology Collection has two small-medium sized boxes of artefacts that are labelled “Mt William Glencoe”.

Some artefacts are labelled “Mount William Quarry Lower” and some “Mount William Quarry Top”.

There are a series of small bags, obviously from an excavation, that are labelled Glen/1/Layer C1 to C10.

The material has either never been registered into the Archaeology Collection, or the registration details have become divorced from the boxes.

If anyone has any information about who the collectors/excavators were or when the collections/excavations were made, or any other information about them, could you please let me or Allison Dejanovic.

Best wishes

Val

Dr Val Attenbrow

Senior Fellow

Australian Museum Research Institute
Australian Museum, 6 College Street, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
t. 61 2 9320 6196;   f. 61 2 9320 6040

Visit: www.australianmuseum.net.au

Visit: http://www.facebook.com/australianmuseum

Follow: http://www.twitter.com/austmus

Watch: http://youtube.com/austmus

Inspiring the exploration of nature and cultures
_______________________________
NOW IN BOOKSHOPS, second edition. Attenbrow, V (2010) Sydney's Aboriginal Past. Investigating the archaeological  and historical records. Sydney:UNSW Press.

Val Attenbrow's publications and staff profile.

Click here to read the Australian Museum email disclaimer:

 The Australian Museum email disclaimer:

Iain Stuart

Aug 17, 2015, 8:17:54 PM8/17/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com, Allison Dejanovic

I am assuming that Mount William and Mount William Quarry must mean the Mount William greenstone quarries near Lancefield (although being open to the possibility of other Mount Williams) but I was unaware of any excavations and in any case post 1972 surely the artefacts would have to be lodged in Victoria.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Ia...@jcis.net.au

image001.jpg

Richard Wright

The Australian Museum Archaeology Collection has two small-medium sized boxes of artefacts that are labelled “Mt William Glencoe†.
Some artefacts are labelled “Mount William Quarry Lower†and some “Mount William Quarry Top†.

Richard Wright
72 Campbell Street
Balmain
NSW 2041
Australia

Phone: +61 2 98181037

Alternative email address: ric...@cranid.com

Avast logo

Val Attenbrow

Aug 17, 2015, 10:02:29 PM8/17/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com, Allison Dejanovic

Richard and Iain, many thanks for your responses.

I had assumed the artefacts were from Mt William Quarry in Victoria given that they included several axe blanks. Also an internet search found reference to a property called Glencoe in the Sunbury district, near Mt William quarry.

The bagging and labelling of the material suggests it is pre-legislation in age, and it could thus could come from outside New South Wales.

Richard, do you know of a Mount William, near Glencoe in NSW? I haven’t found any reference to a Mount William in NE NSW on the internet, Google Earth or NSW Geographic Names Board.

Best wishes

Val

Dr Val Attenbrow

Senior Fellow

Australian Museum Research Institute
Australian Museum, 6 College Street, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
t. 61 2 9320 6196;   f. 61 2 9320 6040

Visit: www.australianmuseum.net.au

Visit: http://www.facebook.com/australianmuseum

Follow: http://www.twitter.com/austmus

Watch: http://youtube.com/austmus

Inspiring the exploration of nature and cultures
_______________________________
NOW IN BOOKSHOPS, second edition. Attenbrow, V (2010) Sydney's Aboriginal Past. Investigating the archaeological  and historical records. Sydney:UNSW Press.

Val Attenbrow's publications and staff profile.

Annie Ross

Aug 17, 2015, 10:05:55 PM8/17/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com, Allison Dejanovic

I think "glencoe" may be a common property name in Australia.  There is a "Glencoe" property on the Raak Plains in NW Victoria (where I did my PhD about a hundred years ago!).

Annie

(Associate Professor) Annie Ross
Michie Building Room 401
(Mon, Wed, Fri)
School of Social Science
University of Queensland
St Lucia 4072
Phone: 3365 1450 (Mon, Wed, Fri)

Steele Building Room 327F (Tues, Thurs)
School of Geography, Planning and Environmental Management
University of Queensland
St Lucia 4072
Phone: 334-61646 (Tues, Thurs)

Aug 17, 2015, 11:37:58 PM8/17/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

The Geographical Names Board of NSW spread sheet lists three Mt Williams:

1. Mt William (mountain) (32o 03’ 54” S 151o 28’ 04” E) below Careys Peak on the Williams Range, Barrington Tops.

2. Mt William (mountain) (28o 40’ 54” S 152o 38’ 04” E) 7.4 km N Bonalbo on the wonderfully named Bungdoozle Range.

3. Mt William (hill) (30o 13’ 54” S 151o 59’ 04”) Place name discontinued. This is apparently close to the property “Mt William”, 30 km E of Guyra)

None of these is remotely close to any of the ~ 20 properties named “Glencoe” in NSW.  Glencoe village is on the New England Highway between Guyra and Glen Innes, and the only Mt William within a reasonable bull’s roar of the village is number 3 above. But given its location (30 km E of Guyra and 43 km SE of Glencoe village), referring to Glencoe on the labels is a bit strange.

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.p...@bigpond.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:02 PM

Richard and Iain, many thanks for your responses.

Val Attenbrow

Aug 18, 2015, 12:18:05 AM8/18/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com, Allison Dejanovic

John,

Many thanks for all the detail – I also found those and should have said in my email that I hadn’t found reference to a Mount William near Glencoe on the NENSW.

We have just compared the pXRF analyses for the ‘Glencoe’ artefacts with some other Mt William Quarry material held in the AusMus. The spectra for both are remarkably similar on screen, but I would still like to hear from anyone who has any information about the ‘Glencoe’ artefacts.

Best wishes

Val

Dr Val Attenbrow

Senior Fellow

Australian Museum Research Institute
Australian Museum, 6 College Street, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
t. 61 2 9320 6196;   f. 61 2 9320 6040

Visit: www.australianmuseum.net.au

Visit: http://www.facebook.com/australianmuseum

Follow: http://www.twitter.com/austmus

Watch: http://youtube.com/austmus

Inspiring the exploration of nature and cultures
_______________________________
NOW IN BOOKSHOPS, second edition. Attenbrow, V (2010) Sydney's Aboriginal Past. Investigating the archaeological  and historical records. Sydney:UNSW Press.

Val Attenbrow's publications and staff profile.

Gary Vines

Aug 18, 2015, 1:37:57 AM8/18/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com

I have a vague recollection of artefacts from Mount William being in a private collection at a nearby farm. Glencoe is about 4km away

Wurundjeri elders may be able to assist. Perhaps try contacting Delta Deltalucille Freedman Deltal...@wurundjeri.com.au

Gary Vines
Senior Consultant Archaeologist

Mobile: 0428 526 898
Direct: (03) 8686 4814
Email: GVi...@biosis.com.au

Biosis Logo
Leaders in Ecology and Heritage Consulting
38 Bertie Street (PO Box 489) Port Melbourne VIC 3207
ph: (03) 8686 4800 fax: (03) 9646 9242
biosis.com.au

The information transmitted including attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain copyright material, or information that is confidential or is exempt from disclosure by law. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of Biosis Pty Ltd. Biosis Pty Ltd does not represent that this email is free of errors, viruses or interference. When using email to communicate with Biosis Pty Ltd, access to that information by Biosis Pty Ltd personnel is strictly limited and controlled.

Richard Wright

Aug 18, 2015, 4:02:40 AM8/18/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Val

There is a place called Glencoe, on the New England Highway, between Guyra and Glen Innes.

In this area there is a Mount William.

http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/place_naming/placename_search/extract?id=SXYbWyWAIt

I have no idea whether there is an archaeological site there but it is, of course, Isabel McBryde country.

Cheers,

Richard

Val Attenbrow

Aug 20, 2015, 8:23:42 PM8/20/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Richard, thanks for your response. I thought the distance between Glencoe and the Mt Williams in NE NSW was too great for there to be an association. I checked with Isabel McBryde and she didn't carry out any excavations at a site called Mt William Glencoe in NSW, though she did collect some material from a site called Mt King William in NENSW.

She also did not know of any early excavations undertaken at Mt William Axe Quarry in Victoria.

A bit more searching in the AM database came across an association between the AM collection and the Grampians, which would suggest the collection is from Mt William Axe Quarry in Victoria. But I still found no information about who made the collection/excavation or when they were made.

Many thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Best wishes

Val

Dr Val Attenbrow

Senior Fellow

Australian Museum Research Institute

Australian Museum

6 College Street

Sydney South NSW 2010, Australia

Tel: (02) 93206196

Aug 22, 2015, 12:04:13 AM8/22/15
to OzArch, Allison....@austmus.gov.au, Val.At...@austmus.gov.au
Hi Val
Sorry for the slow response. I think you will find that these collections are from the Grampians. The excavation bags are likely to be from excavations at Billimina / Glen Isla 1. I reanalysed the material from Donald Tugby's 1953 excavations at the site. The site was then known as Painted Rock. Dermot Casey and Alan West also excavated there in the late 1960s and then of course Peter Coutts excavated there in the 1970s. The label you quote on the bags looks very like some of the old Glen Isla labels. There is a bit of a history of the various investigations at the site in Bird, C & Frankel, D 2005 An archaeology of Gariwerd: from Pleistocene to Holocene in Western Victoria, Tempus 8, Anthropology Museum, University of Queensland - see Chapter 2.
If all the material is related then it is likely that the Mount William referred to is the Mount William in the eastern part of the Grampians. There is also Mt William Swamp. There is a Glencoe south of the Grampians. I don't know of a quarry at Mount William. However, Jallukar is quite close to there and there may well be suitable candidates elsewhere in the Stavely Belt on the east side of the ranges that might reasonably use Mt William as a reference.
Tugby's collections that I worked with were in fairly poor condition and scrappily documented. And I'm pretty sure from memory that the labels all said PR for Painted Rock. But Glen/1 definitely suggests Glen Isla - maybe from Casey and West? I may have some notes that might help.  Contact me off list if you would like me to dig them out.
Regards
Caroline