Re: {OzArch} age of a supposed c.1936 beer bottle

Ejha...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2015, 11:45:21 PM7/14/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
American beer bottles didn't have threaded finishes for twist off crown caps until the 1960s.

In a message dated 7/9/2015 2:52:08 P.M. AUS Eastern Standard Time, rich...@tig.com.au writes:
A beer bottle was found near the supposed bones of Amelia Earhart on
Nikumaroro Island.

According to the TIGHAR website, a bottle expert identified it as for
American export beer - around 1936.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TIGHAR/224536440657

Does anybody have a different opinion about the likely age of this bottle?

The image is difficult to locate on the Facebook page, so I have
uploaded a copy of it to

https://app.box.com/shared/static/3zft9totullqesvy195dp6d0y5mk04e4.jpg

Richard

Richard Wright
72 Campbell Street
Balmain
NSW 2041
Australia

Phone: +61 2 98181037

Alternative email address: ric...@cranid.com

Richard Wright

Jul 15, 2015, 12:43:50 AM7/15/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Richard

Andy Orr

Jul 16, 2015, 12:28:11 AM7/16/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
The post of the facebook page is a bit misleading. I'd assume the modern intact bottle on the left has been included for scale/reference and it's the burnt fragments on the right they are referring to.

Andrew

Richard Wright

Jul 16, 2015, 1:34:29 AM7/16/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Andrew

You are correct. I should have written that the claim was for the fragments being from a bottle like the complete one.

Richard

At 02:28 PM 16/07/2015, you wrote:
The post of the facebook page is a bit misleading. I'd assume the modern intact bottle on the left has been included for scale/reference and it's the burnt fragments on the right they are referring to.Â

Andrew Â