RE: {OzArch} archaeology students can't cope with scary bones

Andrew Costello

Sep 27, 2016, 11:11:00 PM9/27/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps those with less trepidation may be interested in a skeletal remains workshop being held on 7 October at University of Sydney through AACAI NSW?

Attached is the flier. There may be a few places left!

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact Lyndon Patterson: archa...@ecoaus.com.au or lyn...@ecoaus.com.au Ph: (02) 8536 8650

On Wed, 28/9/16, Richard Wright <rich...@tig.com.au> wrote:

Subject: RE: {OzArch} archaeology students can’t cope with ‘scary bones’
To: oza...@googlegroups.com

I imagine not many archaeologists get to work on them, at
least in
Australia.

Nevertheless I think field archaeologists should be able to
recognise
human skeletal remains, even though they may not actually
work on them.

Because of the legal implications of finding human bones,
field
archaeologists should be able to recognise them.

They can turn up unexpectedly on any excavation.
Alternatively, time is
wasted on an excavation if bones are found and no
archaeologist on the
spot can immediately recognise them as from a human or from
another
animal.

In my experience, the general public, the contractor, and
the police
expect archaeologists to be able to recognise human
bones.

On the psychological matters that worried UCL, I have spoken
with
archaeological and anthropological colleagues who say that
the original
training they had while handling human bones was itself an
important
'memento mori' - a threshold that helped to mitigate
stress if they went
on in their career to handle soft tissue at a forensic
scene.

Richard

At 10:41 28/09/2016, you wrote:

How many archaeologists do
actually get to work on skeletal remains at all?

Stephen Corsini

From: oza...@googlegroups.com
[