Broken Hill Marnpi/Marnbi and relationships with Flinders Ranges and Qld

Danuta Kucharska

Jun 23, 2016, 7:22:04 AM6/23/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi, everyone,
I am looking at indigenous Marnpi story/stories as part of a (engineering) PhD. I read that Fuzzy Wombat was putting together something on the evolution of a version around Broken Hill including places as far afield as Mt Isa and the Flinders Ranges. Link:

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,
Danu
​sia
 Kucharska
PhD Student,
​ ​
Water Grou
​p

Infrastructure Engineering
University of Melbourne
​(member since June 2016!)​

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jun 23, 2016, 1:56:39 PM6/23/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello Danu

​sia
Kucharska,

There's masses of stuff on this.

There are two major sources - involves:

* NPWS - the principal one.

* Broken Hill City Council.

What aspects are you interested in?

How is this connecting to an engineering PhD?

The Pinnacles are also is/has a Broken Hill type lead-zinc deposit as I'm sure you'd know.

It also (the remains of the mining village) used to be a tourist destination .. but I hear that entire place has been sealed off as private property now .. are you aware of that?

I am also collecting information on a 'massacre' at the main mining centre out of Cobar on the road to Bourke, should anyone have any info on that.

Plus anything you know on silcrete.

If serious or going deep about Marnpi then the other person who should soon contact is the anthropologist whose career was ruined by The Pinnacles controversy.

She already copped if from the 'sacred womens business' at the big case over the Bridge, then a second round of adverse publicity over The Pinnacles was the last straw in that unfortunately she relates she was never offered work again in her choosen career  ... I think had children and a house not paid off so had to find other work to do.

If you, or anyone, is deeply looking into The Pinnacles story you'll find it very interesting.    I can give you some tips if you contact me directly.

And yes, in at least one 'version' the Marnpi did fly as far north as Mount Isa.

Just offhand I cannot remember whose version that is ..  but I can look it up .. I've accumulated lots on the topic.

Cheers,

John

~~

~~~~