Top end burning and archaeology

Gary Vines

Jan 19, 2018, 9:45:31 PM1/19/18
to OzArch

The chairperson of the North Kimberley Land Conservation District Committee, Cecilia Myers, told him in a letter in August 2017 that his statements were “destructive and divisive”, and that land managers were motivated not by money but by the need to control “intense, damaging” late-season fires. Myers, an archaeologist and director of a pastoral company with Kimberley properties that carbon trade through savanna burning, added that early-season burning, usually by air, was the best way to limit the threat to biodiversity, infrastructure and pastoral productivity from late-season fires.

ROCK PAINTINGS survived for millennia because their owners protectively burnt surrounding vegetation. Not all archaeologists would agree that current fire practices guarantee the same result.

“Massive aerial burning” is fading and scorching rock art across the Kimberley, according to Lee Scott-Virtue, who runs a Kimberley-focused archaeological consultancy. She estimates fire, especially burning by the Department of Parks and Wildlife, has destroyed about 30 per cent of the thousands of ochre images she recorded around the distinctive cone towers of the Bungle Bungle ranges in 1983. Scott-Virtue’s Aboriginal colleague, elder Ju Ju “Burriwee” Wilson, told Fairfax Media in 2014 that she felt “sad, wild, very angry” to see her ancestors’ work destroyed by “government” burn-offs.

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/better-before-colonisation-north-australias-fuming-bushfirecontrol-debate-20171208-h015ys

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jan 19, 2018, 10:07:13 PM1/19/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

This ("She estimates fire, especially burning by the Department of Parks and Wildlife, has destroyed about 30 per cent of the thousands of ochre images she recorded around the distinctive cone towers of the Bungle Bungle ranges in 1983. Scott-Virtue’s Aboriginal colleague, elder Ju Ju “Burriwee” Wilson, told Fairfax Media in 2014 that she felt “sad, wild, very angry” to see her ancestors’ work destroyed by “government” burn-offs") is very interesting.

Who here knows anything, please [in detail], about the accusation that Government (NPWS) damaged the biggest/best midden on the East Coast (at least the biggest in NSW?).

That was more or less an accident but there are those who say it never would have happened if NPWS had not been let get run-down up there in various ways.

There was a radio show on the ABC about the  "cuts and cuts and cuts" to NPWS.

I am told to contact a Mr. Worboys (who was long in NPWS apparently) about the running-down as he is said to know much about it.

But so far I have not found a contact for him, so haven't done it.

Re the never-ending saga of the Randwick 22,000 I recently asked Transport again how is it all going.   And have they yet determined the rock type?

It would appear "No" .. and I was told again "we are doing chemical analyses".

Yet I was told that right back near the very beginning of this saga .. which is now dragging on towards the TWO YEAR mark.

HOWEVER .. very unexpectedly late last night I got some shock news given to me that someone saw something about the  Randwick Stabling Yard just appear in the newspaper ... but that she now longer has the paper.

It was likely in the Sydney Morning Herald it is thought.

Is this right .. ? ..... did anyone else see that?    I am putting on my shoes soon .. to go out and see if I can find a newspaper seller still with a copy of yesterdays papers.

Cheers,

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~

john.p...@bigpond.com

Jan 20, 2018, 12:53:32 AM1/20/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Do you mean the case discussed on OzArch under the subject “NSW NPWS fined $45,000 for harming Aboriginal objects” back on 20 and 21 February 2017 (time flies when you are having fun!)

The judgement is at https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/5833e52fe4b0e71e17f555bf

NPWS (a  division of NSW OEH ) was prosecuted by OEH, and was fined $45,000 which was paid to the NPW Fund where NPWS could use it to further the objects of the NPW Act. At the time of the OzArch discussion, I described the fine as a kindergarten-level form of money laundering.

The park worker was well and truly screwed by NPWS in the case.

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.p...@bigpond.com

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jan 20, 2018, 1:57:57 AM1/20/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Thanks,

Yes I know most of the basics but I do NOT know about "

The park worker was well and truly screwed by NPWS in the case".

I have been told certain things but probably best to send via direct mail, not via the List.

From what I have been told it was hardly the entire fault of the worker.

I also have been told of another place - called "Midden Beach" (near Byron Bay from memory) where another unfortunate loss of midden went on .. this time resulting in total loss of the whole thing .. so I am told (I have not seen it myself).

I think you will be interested too in the latest Randwick Stabling yard development .. the place you were advised to "Made a GIPA request" on probably a pretty simple question.

Did you make the GIPA request, and if so what happened?

Cheers, John