history Wars - the battle of identity politics

Gary Vines

Oct 19, 2017, 12:17:18 AM10/19/17
to OzArch
Memo to the IPA: history teaching is driven by student demand, not ‘identity politics’

The Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) has released a survey of history subjects at Australian universities, arguing that “identity politics” (subjects related to race, gender, class and the environment) have increased at the expense of subjects related to “Western civilisation”.

by Trevor Burnard, Head of School and Professor of History, University of Melbourne

The Conversation. October 19, 2017 6.19am AEDT

Steve Corsini

Oct 19, 2017, 12:33:45 AM10/19/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Well, if the IPA are against it, then I’m for it!

John Pickard

Oct 19, 2017, 4:46:30 PM10/19/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Don’t forget the converse Steve:

If the IPA is for it, then I’m against it!

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.p...@bigpond.com

Gary Vines

Oct 19, 2017, 10:12:23 PM10/19/17
to OzArch

john...@ozemail.com.au

Oct 19, 2017, 10:44:52 PM10/19/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

The Hawkesbury Council must have seen this video.

Re history wars, early interracial conflict I have suggested a memorial/interpretation on Cornwallis Road, Argylle Reach, just west of Windsor.

There a big concentration of killing records there .. some involving the same people more than once.

The most famous is when a party of settlers under Constable Edward Powell murdered two Aboriginal boys.

They did it because the natives had murdered two whites not long before.

That is how it was back then --- on the Hawkesbury.

But the Hawkesbury Council doesn't want to know about it .. they'e against it, it seems.

Whatever that means.

And meanwhile the very rare Aboriginal silcrete working area atop of Plumpton Ridge opposite the big White Mosque on Richmond Road continues to lose integrity.   The silcrete boulders have now come to be within house front and back yards.

At one house with three in the front yard I knocked on the front door to see what they thought of the big round rocks.

The Chinese woman said she didn't how they got there.

I said they are significant to geologists ... could I have them?

She said "yes".

But with 200-400 there I cannot save them all.

I did put one of the smaller ones in my boot .. it is now in a back yard at Strathfield.   A bit of the now very rare "Newtown silcrete" is in the same backyard.

What will become of them eventually ... as I won't be around forever my doctor tells me .

Imagine .. I pay him good money to tell me things like that !!

Cheers, John

Oct 25, 2017, 12:16:20 AM10/25/17
to OzArch
Bloody accountants and their fancy overpriced beers...

 I was going to comment that at least they're anti-pokies but even that small redeeming feature seems to have disappeared from their platform.