Fwd: Striated Glass

Anne Bickford

Mar 24, 2015, 6:52:44 PM3/24/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I sent the  message from John to Miles Lewis who replied as below. Miles also sent us by dropbox his fantastic resource on Aust building  which you can find a link to on his website. http://www.mileslewis.net/australian-building/   It has the entry  section 11.5, p 81 for corrugated glass
Regards,
Annie

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Miles Lewis" <mil...@iprimus.com.au>
Subject: RE: Striated Glass
Date: 24 March 2015 9:32:58 pm AEDT
To: "'Geoff Cunningham'" <geof...@bigpond.net.au>
Cc: <john.p...@bigpond.com>, "'Anne Bickford'" <ab...@bigpond.net.au>

Dear Geoff

I’ll send you (and John and Anne) a link to my notes on glazing, in which you will find the essential point that the glassmakers  Pilkingtons made 'Patent Corrugated Sheet and Rolled Glass' to fit iron of three or five inch pitch corrugations. That’s why I asked about the pitch of yours. The only other surviving specimen I know of was at the Venus Crushing Battery, Charters Towers, Queensland.

But I still don’t know the name or location of your property.  Please will you tell me.

And now I have to question you about the iron. I don’t believe that William Sandford made corrugated iron, and he certainly didn’t make galvanised corrugated iron.  Does yours have any brand or identification?  Again, in my notes you’ll find a gazetteer of iron brands.

Regards

Miles Lewis

Professor Miles Lewis AM

34 Napier St. Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia

(61) (0) 412 368 992

mil...@iprimus.com.au

http://www.mileslewis.net/