Aboriginal cultural sites certificate III

graham...@live.com.au

Jan 12, 2018, 5:27:17 AM1/12/18
to OzArch
Hi Ozarch,
I am passionate in Aboriginal cultural heritage and work for Sutherland Shire Council as a trainee in Natural Areas and Aboriginal cultural heritage: looking after nature and Aboriginal cultural sites in Council areas.
I was wondering if there any training I can do to get a qualification in Aboriginal cultural sites cert III in Sydney area? I have experience of filling out the AHIMS forms and updating the AHIMS as well including taking pictures. I also experienced in consulting with the Aboriginal Local Land Council and Aboriginal community.
How can I get those experiences into the Recognition Prior Learning to get the certificate for Aboriginal cultural sites course? I need to be qualified that way I get prove that I can look after sites and look for jobs as well to be a qualified Aboriginal cultural sites officer.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/course/AHC32516-01/Certificate-III-in-Aboriginal-Sites-Work

Please send a reply if you have any ideas or thoughts. Thanks

Regards

Graham Avery

Annie Ross

Jan 12, 2018, 5:31:51 PM1/12/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Dear Graham,

You might like to start by doing the free, online course developed by the University of Queensland. It's available at http://www.uq.edu.au/keepingcountry/ and gives a good background to Aboriginal heritage management training. It's not a Cert III, of course, but it would prepare you well for perhaps auditing some University courses, or enrolling in some University online courses that are available through several institutions, including Flinders, UNE, and others.

Cheers and good luck

Annie Ross

Dr Annie Ross
Honorary Associate Professor
Michie Building Room 423
School of Social Science
University of Queensland
St Lucia 4072
Phone: 3365 1450
http://www.socialscience.uq.edu.au/
Email: annie...@uq.edu.au
Mobile: 0408 773 252

CRICOS Provider Number 00025B
Jan 13, 2018, 2:28:35 AM1/13/18
to OzArch
Hi Graham
The organisations that have the Cert III in Aboriginal Sites Work on their scope are listed here: Cert III in Aboriginal Sites Work

I don't know which are in the Sydney area or if they are currently offering the course, so you'll need to contact each one. They will (or should!) help you put together the type of evidence you need for RPL. It would be a combination of paperwork (for examples, copies of site cards you've filled out), interview and demonstration, depending on which units you're wanting RPL for.
All the best
Maddy

Viki Gordon

Jan 14, 2018, 5:13:45 AM1/14/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham,

I applaud your passion for the care of Aboriginal sites. I'm not sure what is required for your 'Recognition Prior Learning'. However, it might help you to know that the Aboriginal Heritage Office, which represents several local Councils on the north shore of Sydney and is Indigenous managed, might be able to assist if arrangements are made between one of their partnership Councils and yours. Go to www.aboriginalheritage.org.au to see what they do and I suggest you contact the manager, David Watts, to see if he may be able to help.

Kind regards

Viki L Gordon
Consulting Archaeologist
ABN 49209105406
P O Box 168 Morisset NSW 2264
Feb 21, 2018, 12:59:24 AM2/21/18
to OzArch
Thank you Annie, :)

I will have a look at that! Awesome

graham...@live.com.au

Feb 21, 2018, 12:59:24 AM2/21/18
to OzArch
Hi Maddy,

Thank you for your reply, I have found out there is none available in Sydney area which is disappointed. I will keep trying.