Re: The latest on the Randwick Stabling Yard saga

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jan 20, 2018, 12:47:46 AM1/20/18
to Ozarch

Re:  The latest on the Randwick Stabling Yard saga

Hello,

I am writing to say what's in the Sydney Morning Herald article just learned about and announced (the existence of) earlier today.

Even though it is a complete full page article, and was published two days ago, only one person I know noted it at all; and I certainly would have missed it totally had I not been told to look for it.

The article, page 27, of the Sydney Morning Herald of 18 January 2018 is an application to the Commonwealth for protection of a "Significant Aboriginal Area", covering the whole of the Stabling Yard area.

The application number appears not to be stated in the article.

The application has been made on behalf of Desmond Dyer and Gordon Workman (well known Darug names), Norma and Ynonne Simms (Bidjigals, and from my work on Plumpton Ridge the Simms name is also quite well known there - at what is nowadays regarded as Darug heartland (the old Black[s]town and Colebee Grant area), and Scott Franks (Plains Clan of the Wonnarua people), by Mr David Shoebridge who if memory serves me right was briefly fobbed off by the Federal Minister when he first requested protection for this place ..... being told by the Federal Minister it no uncertain terms that it was none of his concern (but I will check to try and re-locate the exact wording).

As all will remember I think, the initial claims were that the area was being desecrated, work should stop; and Uncle Des said there was a marked tree that suggested burial, and also that there were "marriage stones" (very rare) found there, etc.

Claims now seen on page 27 include that "a very significant number of spear heads" were found at the site.

And that the site contains items "from the Lower Hunter Valley".

And that it may have been "the site of a large gathering".

Too right, eh.    This is indeed what some people were thinking around the time of the discovery.

I read elsewhere on the Internet (back then) that some people were thinking runners could have been sent as far as Queensland to 'gather the tribes'  to this spot ..... with people thinking the tens of thousands of stones were gathered there for the big meeting in order to make spears from ---  and drive Captain Cook's lot back into the sea.

Obviously nothing like that ever did happen; and I can confidently predict that many are now going to be wanting the date of Australia Day moved, because they regard the 1788 landing in Sydney Cove as "Invasion Day".

I am only trying to record the full story .. and won't try to made any hard judgements (at least most certainly not before the full facts are assembled) as to who may be right and who may be wrong on any of this.

Cheers, John