AAA session on technology and heritage management

Aaron Fogel

Aug 23, 2015, 3:08:23 AM8/23/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ozarchers

At the AAA conference last year, we received a very positive response from fellow archaeologists about our geophysical session with many papers having standing room only (and even a few turned away as the room was not big enough).

We have submitted a proposal for a similar session again this year, organised around developing technologies and heritage management. We already have 8-9 papers but are looking to hit 12 to complete 2 individual sessions. Anyone interested can contact us by email or just submit an abstract to the following session. Considering that there has been some problems with the AAA website, you may want to contact us directly so we are aware of your intentions to submit.

Improving long-term management outcomes for cultural heritage with geospatial technologies

Geospatial technologies are increasingly being implemented into the heritage management process throughout Australia and the Asia Pacific. These technologies are being used to assess, document, store, process and deliver geographic information to justify and ensure the protection of Indigenous and non-Indigenous heritage. In particular, the use of 3D scanning technologies has significantly increased, though near surface geophysics, Unmanned Aerial Systems and LiDAR are also being implemented more often. The use of these technologies is moving beyond a secondary tool meant to support traditional methods of assessment. They are now being utilised as a primary method of data collection for interpreting and managing heritage resources. This session will focus on current applications of all types of geospatial technologies. Papers are invited to discuss cost-benefits in a heritage management context, innovative applications that can support heritage practitioners and academic archaeologists, as well as, future directions of these technologies for Indigenous and non-Indigenous archaeology.

Aaron Fogel and Kelsey Lowe

Birgitta Stephenson

Aug 23, 2015, 4:28:09 AM8/23/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Hey hey Aaron
How the heck are you ??? I am back after 6 weeks of salvage ...., say no more !! Hey did you get my text message re la trobe lecture positions ??? Thought may be interesting for kelsey .when is she back.
Hugs
Cheers
Birgy

Birgitta Stephenson
BA (Hons) Archaeology, B Pharm, MACP, Grad Dip Pharm Nutrition
Director
In the Groove Analysis Pty Ltd
0416317980

Adjunct Research Fellow
School of Social Science
The University of Queensland,
Brisbane QLD 4072

Pharmacist Advisor
Veteran Affairs Pharmacy Advisory Centre
Department of Veterans Affairs, Brisbane, Q 4001