Earth Ovens

Iain Stuart

Dec 1, 2016, 3:17:20 PM12/1/16
to Oz Arch

Maurizio,

I am assuming you have all the reports from the early VAS period when several mounds were excavated.

There were mounds on both sides of the Murray and as I recall on the Hay plains it might well be worth checking with OEH and their database to see whether and sites on the NSW side of the border were excavated and to obtain relevant site reports.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Ia...@jcis.net.au

Maurizio Campanelli

Dec 1, 2016, 4:00:44 PM12/1/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks very much for replying. Yes, the 'classic' literature tells about mounds or heat-retainers: 'sites' or artefacts. Sometimes hearths are used for dating. To understand technology and practice, relevant data about the cooking structure may be hidden in some unpublished report, with no specific research question. I think that commercial archaeology can be particularly helpful.

Cheers,
M.