Scientists at work: Public archaeologists dig before the construction crews do

Gary Vines

Aug 27, 2016, 10:05:02 PM8/27/16
to OzArch
A few things to consider here - firstly, they are accepted as scientists, then they are ' public archaeologist' doing for the public benefit, the fact that the 'Public Archaeology Facility', is a 'research center specializing in cultural resource management'. CRM AND research! But then this is under legislation that compels Federal bodies to carry out archaeological research. Not one where private companies have to get a permit to get cultural sites out of the way.

US archaeology under their statutory regulation, does at least seem to engage traditional peoples, local communities, academia, and the corporate world, more thoroughly than here - if this article in the Conversation is to be believed.

I wish my sieving went as well as this - no clogged muddy screens.

Shaun Canning

Aug 28, 2016, 1:49:38 AM8/28/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Yep, and these publicly funded entities are in direct competition with commercial entities who are also doing the same work - without the luxury of the tax payer underwriting their business model or their jobs.

Regards,

Dr Shaun Canning

Managing Director & Principal Heritage Advisor

0400 204 536             shaun....@achm.com.au

Australian Cultural Heritage Management

Brisbane | Melbourne | Sydney

1300 724 913                             www.achm.com.au

Find me at LinkedIn

Eleanor Crosby

Aug 28, 2016, 3:32:42 AM8/28/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Years ago I made a submission to an enquiry on this subject, and on these grounds.  After all Unis train archaeologists and then effectively cut them out of jobs (I've retired now).
I think Sydney could be absolved of such hypocrisy, but probably no other!

Eleanor

tessa corkill

Aug 28, 2016, 4:32:21 AM8/28/16
to Ozarch

Yet again I have a message not to trust the groups.google.com/group/ozarch website

​. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Tessa Corkill​