battery chargers

Jean Struweg

Sep 7, 2016, 8:31:49 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gents

What is the current best thinking in terms of 12V chargers? What to buy and where to buy it.

Nothing heavy duty, but reasonable quality. It will be primarily for my deep cycle battery.

It appears my Meanwell has given up the ghost.

Thanks

Jean

Erin Bosch

Sep 7, 2016, 8:48:51 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I’m happy with my Benton, which seems to be a budget version of the C-Tek. Ordered it via the 4x4 Community Forum and had it couriered to my office within a couple of days. It was around half the price of the equivalent C-Tek when I bought it a few years ago.

Eric (Family Dog) on the forum is the guy to speak to – nothing but praise on there for his service and product.

George Bosch (no relation) on there is a C-Tek agent and will give a discount to forum members IIRC.

Mike Lauterbach

Sep 7, 2016, 8:52:57 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean

What do you need it for?  If it is not for fast charging or battery conditioning, but merely for trickle charging, the Meanwell will do just fine.  Mantech is a good source.

Cheers
Mike

Bruce Turner

Sep 7, 2016, 9:16:09 AM9/7/16
to overland-forum
Why not get hold of Jacques at Bushpower? He is a member here and always provides the best service and pricing.

I recently bought a charger for my Disco as its now parked 90% of the time and only used for trips. Jacques gave me a great deal on a charger to maintain the batteries.

Rgds
BruceT

On 07/09/16 14:48, Erin Bosch wrote:

I’m happy with my Benton, which seems to be a budget version of the C-Tek. Ordered it via the 4x4 Community Forum and had it couriered to my office within a couple of days. It was around half the price of the equivalent C-Tek when I bought it a few years ago.

Eric (Family Dog) on the forum is the guy to speak to – nothing but praise on there for his service and product.

George Bosch (no relation) on there is a C-Tek agent and will give a discount to forum members IIRC.

Rob Harvey

Sep 7, 2016, 9:19:33 AM9/7/16
to overland-forum
+1

I got one from Bushpower when Renzo still owned the company and have had no issues with it (can't remember the make sorry. Decent price too.

Jean Struweg

Sep 7, 2016, 9:43:40 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys

Good point Bruce & Rob. Dunno why I didn't think of that.

Cheers

Erin Bosch

Sep 7, 2016, 10:08:09 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Sorry Jacques, forgot about you [blushes].

I’ve also been an extremely satisfied customer of his (batteries and solar panel rentals).

Mike Lauterbach

Sep 7, 2016, 10:28:27 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Ditto on all counts!

Sean Steyn

Sep 7, 2016, 10:45:44 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Meanwell is supplied by Current Automation in Kya Sand. We have used them for years in industrial applications, I'd go this route if it is sufficient for your purpose.

Mike Lauterbach

Sep 7, 2016, 10:59:46 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
We use these at all our high sites to power our Lead Crystal batteries.

ISINYONI Africa

Sep 7, 2016, 11:07:09 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sean, thanks for that indo. Do you know if they keep spares.
My Meanwell seized its fan and Renzo wasn't able to get a replacement - it was a long time ago.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "overland-forum" group.

Sean Steyn

Sep 7, 2016, 11:20:34 AM9/7/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
No idea

On Wednesday, 07 September 2016, ISINYONI Africa <isin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Sean, thanks for that indo. Do you know if they keep spares.
My Meanwell seized its fan and Renzo wasn't able to get a replacement - it was a long time ago.

Sep 8, 2016, 10:54:16 AM9/8/16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Gents

Got hold of Jacque. He concurred with Sean on Current Automation. I popped in there this afternoon. They had to replace some components that were fubar due to a power surge (they said) and I was out of there in under an hour and at a cost of R460.

Happy customer.

Thanks for the inputs.

Cheers