Another Fall while overlanding

Mike Slater

Jun 19, 2012, 6:07:32 AM6/19/12
to overland-forum
While on the topic of vehicles falling through roads, rooftop tents
offer possibilities of disasters too:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/forum/25-trip-reports/8205-beautiful-mozambique

Mike

Emanuel Berger

Jun 19, 2012, 8:49:55 AM6/19/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
When reading this story, memories of the trip in 2009 come to me.

In Tsumke SWAMBO rises in the morning and steps down the ladder of the roof top tent. Because the braces are narrow and hurt on the soles of her feets, she wears flip-flops. Halfway down they hang and she falls flat on her back. She could not get up for some time because the pain is tu mutch. I immediately wanted to return with her to Grooptfontein to see a doctor, nurses are known to be the worst patients. She took only strong painkillers and then we drove on the gravel road in direction "Drosky's Cabin" (Botswana).
From then on we have to Kasana and back to Windhoek visited almost every pharmacy to buy painkillers. and flew back after 4 weeks of vacation in switzerland
About six months after our return in Switzerland Swambo goes to the doctor and some of the looks in the RMI recordings that she had a broken lumba. Now its healed, but badly.

Greetings
Emanuel

http://www.nelson2africa.blogspot.ch

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--
Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2
CH 3422 Kirchberg
Switzerland

Tel.: +41 34 445 21 51
Skype: aloeimport

www.sites.google.com/site/swissnomads
www.aloeimport.ch
Bilder: http://picasaweb.google.com/SwissNomads
Blog: www.nelson2africa.blogspot.com

Douw Kruger

Jun 20, 2012, 2:06:06 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
This is very true. RTT and roofracks are dangerous places.  In Sept I am leaving on a two month solo expedition and saftey on the roof rack is the one two that that I am consitioiong my mind for.

Douw

John & Judy Crichton

Jun 20, 2012, 2:38:55 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Douw,
I didn't know the word so I looked it up (Urban Dictionary):
consitioiong isn't defined yet. :-)

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

dangerous content by Pinpoint Securemail,
and is believed to be clean.

Marc Hall

Jun 20, 2012, 2:49:20 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Yes I remember your posting about this some time back asking for ideas about a specific roof tent design.

Didn't you mention sending more detail about the trip closer to the time:) ?

I'm still quite intrigued

mh

On 20 June 2012 08:06, Douw Kruger <5kru...@iburst.co.za> wrote:
This is very true. RTT and roofracks are dangerous places.  In Sept I am leaving on a two month solo expedition and saftey on the roof rack is the one two that that I am consitioiong my mind for.

Douw

Neale Penman

Jun 20, 2012, 3:07:29 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

At the end of a great Moz trip a few years ago, I fell off my RR and sprained my left foot. The universe then laughed heartily and my clutch hydraulics revolted.

I drove home sans clutch or left foot- One of the more interesting experiences I’ve had in my defender J

Seriously Douw- no flip flops or crocs on the RR. Barefoot or boots.

Cheers

Neale

No virus found in this message.

Neale Penman

Jun 20, 2012, 3:06:13 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

A.H. (Eric) Sommer

Jun 20, 2012, 3:13:01 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

>> no flip flops or crocs on the RR. Barefoot or boots.

BOOTS and Proper LACE UP SHOES only.

Better yet, get a ladder you can hang on the side permitting you to get what you need without having to climb on top.

Feet, ankles and hips are the least of your worries. Land badly and your neck will snap like so much kindling.

Cheers

A.H. (Eric) Sommer

+27 86 530 6642 (Fax )

+27 82 492 9272 (cellular)

ZR6ETR (gTalk)

ZR6...@gmail.com

image001.jpg

Rob Harvey

Jun 20, 2012, 4:45:00 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
No crocs anywhere, let alone a roofrack. They're for nurses.

Martin Solms

Jun 20, 2012, 5:16:59 AM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Wow, what a saga...

We all have roof top tent stories... ours was in Nigeria which needed stitching to SWAMBO hand.  Not good place to be especially when the doctor says, as he is about to inject the wife, this is for your cooperation... next minute she passed out due to some Chinese drug...

SteveP

Jun 20, 2012, 9:22:56 AM6/20/12
to overland-forum
I'm just guessing here, but I suspect some people who lack the
flexibility for climbing in and out of a RTT may do it anyway due to a
preference to be further away from nature at night. That being said, I
have added some "grip strips" to my RTT ladder steps as the
chequerplate is still slippery in the dew. I also stuck on a couple of
glow-in-the dark strips along the sides to make it easier to see where
the ladder is in the dark. In addition, I bolted a handle made from
webbing under the mattress just inside the door. That way, you can
slip your hand in under the mattress and have a firm hand-hold.

This is a good opportunity to give another roof rack warning. A friend
cracked a few ribs on a Bots trip when he was up on the roof
tightening some webbing straps. The strap he was pulling on suddenly
snapped and he flew off the RR and bounced off his trailer on his
side, which may have prevented worse injuries.

On Jun 19, 6:07 am, Mike Slater <mozgu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While on the topic of vehicles falling through roads, rooftop tents
> offer possibilities of disasters too:http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/forum/25-trip-reports/8205-beautifu...
>
> Mike

Henk Coetzee

Jun 20, 2012, 5:31:33 PM6/20/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to imagine the mining company safety SOP around this one.
No sleeping on the ground because of lions and no climbing into the
RTT without a safety officer present, an ambulance on call and
everyone in safety boots and reflective vests.

If I'm raving it has a lot to do with trying to install some
monitoring kit on a coal mine. Our team is now in the 5th month of
filling in the forms and questionnaires required before we can go on a
three day training course to allow us to dig a hole about 40cm deep in
a mielie field.

Douw Kruger

Jun 21, 2012, 2:03:36 AM6/21/12
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 08:38:55 UTC+2, JohnC wrote:

Johan I wrote the peice after a braai. I think it should be conditioning (70% probability).

Douw