Cassowary License

Scott Shumaker

Oct 8, 2012, 6:08:20 PM10/8/12
to overcon...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

Are there any plans on adopting a more liberal (MIT / BSD / Apache) - style license? I'd love to use cassowary in a project but don't think LGPL will work (it's for an iPhone app).

Scott

Greg Badros

Oct 8, 2012, 7:24:21 PM10/8/12
to overcon...@googlegroups.com
Sure, consider it licensed on those terms too.  The goal is to protect the authors from liability but otherwise enable free use of the library wherever it's useful!  -G

Alex Russell

Feb 26, 2013, 10:58:16 AM2/26/13
to overcon...@googlegroups.com, sshu...@gmail.com, Greg Badros, Dan Tocchini
Hey Greg,

There's a pull request over on the JS Cassowary repo to add Apache licensing. I'm obviously OK with that for all of my work, but I'd like to ensure that your message below is explicit consent to re-license this derivative this way:

If so, I'll get this done ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Badros

Feb 26, 2013, 11:35:56 AM2/26/13
to Alex Russell, overcon...@googlegroups.com, Scott Shumaker, Dan Tocchini

Yes that's fine. I approve of the apache license for cassowary js.

Alex Russell

Feb 26, 2013, 11:39:53 AM2/26/13
to bad...@gmail.com, overcon...@googlegroups.com, Scott Shumaker, Dan Tocchini
Thanks so much!

Russell Keith-Magee

Oct 21, 2014, 6:41:14 AM10/21/14
to overcon...@googlegroups.com, bad...@gmail.com, Russell Keith-Magee
Hi Greg,

I just saw this thread; I'm the author of a Python port of Cassowary:

and an updated version of the Java port:

The Python port was derived from the Javascript version that Alex released, but the Java version is an update of the original LGPL licensed Java version. I've got similar constraints (no pun intended) to Alex - LGPL isn't especially conducive to mobile app store deployment.

Can I get your permission to release my updated Java port under a BSD-three clause license, using analogous language and attribution as Alex has used in his licensing text?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Greg Badros

Oct 23, 2014, 1:13:40 AM10/23/14
to Russell Keith-Magee, overcon...@googlegroups.com
Sure, you have my permission to use under that license.  The point of the license always was just making clear that everyone else is using at their own risk and that we make no promises of any kind and take on no liability, etc.  We want folks to use this code everywhere it's useful with no limitations and no extra requirements imposed (like forcing sharing of source code) when you use it.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Russell Keith-Magee

Oct 23, 2014, 1:16:14 AM10/23/14
to bad...@gmail.com, overcon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

Thanks for that. I guessed this would be your answer based on your original response to Alex, but for the sake of clarity, I wanted to be certain.

Thanks,
Russ Magee %-)