Grid, horizontal and vertical layouts and what about benefits

Amirouche Boubekki

Oct 27, 2014, 9:28:46 AM10/27/14
to overconstrained
Héllo,

I musing around cassowary algorithm using:

- Russel's implementation
- casuarius from enthought
- gridstylesheet

I have a few questions, so I though here was the best place especially since it mainly concerns cassowary algorithm. GSS use cassowary too, so maybe it applies to it.

a) First is it possible to achieve a grid, horizontal flow (like p tag in HTML) or vertical flow (like div tag in HTML) using cassowary without building a new constraint set?

b) I'm not confident about the interest of the constraint approach, here are my assumtion:

It's very nice with the shell part of a GUI. Those one doesn't need constraints update that often and can be used in different situation like horizontal/vertical display and adapt to screen size. The result is that there is less code to manage. In particular there is no need to deal with one/two way updates.

I'm not sure about other parts of the GUI like specific widgets like textarea or graph layouts, I mean that it can not deal with graph like force layout 2 from gephi.

Thanks in advance