BE WARE OF FENCING COMPANY IN OTTAWA : FENCE-ALL

cindy04...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2008, 11:50:48 AM4/10/08
BE WARE OF FENCING COMPANY IN OTTAWA : FENCE-ALL

http://ottawa.bbb.org/ViewReport.aspx?lnk=http%3a%2f%2fottawa.bbb.org%2freport%2f0117%2f1619&biz=1619&bbb=0117

BBB Accreditation Status

On March 3, 2008 this company's membership in the BBB was revoked by
the BBB's Board of Directors due to failure to respond to one or more
customer complaints filed with the BBB.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
This company has been using the Better Business Bureau trademark
without authorization and wrongfully claiming to be members.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The company's address:

http://www.fenceall.com/

Fence-All
3160 Hawthorne Rd.
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 5H5
Ph: (613) 736-1122
1-800-342-1390
Fax: (613) 736-1112

cindy04...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2008, 11:51:58 AM4/10/08
to wa...@fenceall.com

mike-mcall...@hotmail.com

Apr 11, 2008, 11:13:55 PM4/11/08
On Apr 10, 11:50 am, cindy04sher...@yahoo.com wrote:
> BE WARE OF FENCING COMPANY IN OTTAWA : FENCE-ALL
>
> http://ottawa.bbb.org/ViewReport.aspx?lnk=http%3a%2f%2fottawa.bbb.org...

> BBB Accreditation Status
>
> On March 3, 2008 this company's membership in the BBB was revoked by
> the BBB's Board of Directors due to failure to respond to one or more
> customer complaints filed with the BBB.
>
> ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????­??????????????????

> This company has been using the Better Business Bureau trademark
> without authorization and wrongfully claiming to be members.
> ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????­??????????????????

Here's what it REALLY says on their website:

"The BBB's information on this company is being updated, and no
report is available at this time."

Nice try Cindy... which fencing company do you work for?

cindy04...@yahoo.com

Apr 17, 2008, 11:02:35 AM4/17/08

READ THE FOLLWOING STORY AND SEE HOW THE FENCE COMPANY (FENCE-ALL)
TREATS THEIR CUSTOMERS:-

(Search in google with "wally fence-all ottawa" - the 1st link is the
following complaint. Click 3 times when it asks for password w/o
entering anything. BTW, BBB changed their report from their web site
after April 10. Call BBB and collect the reliability report - just
don't ACT LIKE A FOOL - THIS COMPANY TREATS THE CUSTOMERS LIKE
S...H...I...T)

Larry and Isabelle Capkun
2069 Oakbrook Circle
Ottawa, ON K1W 1H4

September 9, 2005

Better Business Bureau of Ottawa
serving Eastern and Nothern Ontario and the Outaouais
505 – 700 Industrial Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1G 0Y9

cc: Wally Montpetit, President, Fence All

RE: Complaint Against Fence All, 3160 Hawthorne Road, Ottawa, ON K1G
5H5

SUMMARY
· My wife and I contracted Fence All to re-install a gate post for a
"total job price" of $428.00 and we provided a deposit of $214.00.
· The job would entail detaching two gates (the gate post is shared
with our neighbour) and a fence panel from the post; digging up the
post; enlarging the hole; pouring concrete and re-setting the post;
and, re-attaching the gates and panel once the concrete had dried.
· The workmen who came to our house offered to save us money by
performing only what they felt to be necessary work, namely just re-
hanging our gate and the fence panel. This represented less than half
of the contracted work.
· Fence All insisted that we owed the balance of payment, citing a
"minimum labour charge" that was not disclosed anywhere on the
contract or by anyone at the company beforehand.
· I offered to settle at half the contracted price for less than half
of the contracted work done.
· Fence All would not accept this, so I insisted that the full
contracted work be done.
· Almost three weeks later, despite not completing the work, I
discovered on my credit card statement that Fence All had taken the
balance of payment.
· Now, an additional three weeks later, and despite further attempts
by me to reach a compromise, Fence All has yet to either complete the
work or to refund the balance of payment.

SEQUENCE OF EVENTS
April 15/05
The 6"x6" post that holds our gate, our neighbour's gate and one fence
panel had heaved over the past few winters so we were having trouble
opening and closing our gate. (Our neighbour's gate, for some reason,
was unaffected). We called Fence All to get an estimate on fixing the
problem.

April 19/05
Eric Lemieux came to our house, examined the gate and post by eye and
using a level, and concluded that the post need to be removed and re-
set. This would entail:
- detaching both gates and the fence panel from the post;
- digging up the post;
- enlarging the hole;
- pouring concrete and re-setting the post; and
- re-attaching the gates and panel once the concrete had dried.
He said the job would take about three hours and quoted a total job
price of $428.00. I accepted and gave him a deposit of $214.00. He
said I would be contacted prior to the workers coming out to do the
work. I told him that this was important as I'd have to advise the
neighbour to unlock his gate.

April 25/05
Eric faxed me a copy of the contract since he'd forgotten to have me
sign the original. I signed it and faxed it back to him.

July 26-27/05
The subcontractors were sheduled to do the work. No one showed up
that day. I called the office and re-scheduled for Friday. The
contractors showed up unannounced the next day but were not able to do
any work because, given that they were not expected to be there, both
gates were locked.

July 29/05
Two workmen arrived to do the work. The lead workman examined the
fence post and determined that it did not need to be removed and re-
set because, although it had heaved, it was still essentially
vertical. He said he could save me some money by just re-hanging the
troublesome gate. I told him to go ahead and re-hang the gate and I
also asked him to lower the fence panel by a couple of inches (to make
it more level).

The two men finished the job in approximately 45 minutes. The lead
workman then called Fence All to find out what the final charge should
actually be. He was told by Kim (the "Installations Manager") that it
would be the full $428.00. I was asked by the lead workman to sign
off on a paper to indicate that he and his colleague had been at my
house and done some work, so I signed the paper. I then phoned Fence
All.

I spoke to Kim and explained that only a portion of the work had been
done and that, therefore, I should not be expected to pay the full
price. She told me that Fence All has a policy of charging a "minimum
labour charge" of $400, regardless of how little work they actually
do. I said that I was not informed of any minimum charge by Eric and,
more importantly, there was nothing on the contract - on either the
front or back - that stipulated a minimum labour charge.

She re-iterated that they had a policy. I told her that there was
nothing in writing. After a bit of back and forth with this, I asked
her if there was someone else I could speak to try to resolve the
impasse. She told me that, no, there was no one I could speak to. So
I hung up, phoned the company again and left a message for Eric.

July 30/05
Eric called me back. We talked. He said he'd talk to "Wally" (Wally
Montpetit, the president of the company) to see what could be done.

August 2/05
Eric called me back and said he'd spoken to Wally and that nothing
could be done because of their "policy". After re-iterating that this
policy was nowhere on the contract, I told Eric that there were
basically two fair options:
1. We coule settle on $214 - half of the "total job price" - for less
than half the work done; or
2. Fence All could take the remaining $214 but send a work crew out to
finish the job as originally contracted.

Eric said he would talk to Kim and have her get back to me.

August 18/05
No one called me for over two weeks but, when I got my MasterCard
bill, I was surprised and upset to find that Fence All had taken the
remaining $214.00! Now not only had they misrepresented themselves
(with regard to an undisclosed policy), they had billed me for work
not completed! I left a terse, after-hours message for Eric, telling
him to call me to resolve this.

August 19/05
Eric phoned and said he forwarded my message to Kim. He told me to
call him back if I didn't hear from her by 11:00 a.m. At 11:00 a.m.,
not having heard from Kim, I called Eric. He asked me to hold while
he transferred my call to Kim. Kim came on the line and, in a most
dismissive and disinterested tone, told me that they'd have someone
come out next week to do the work. I told her I'd need a day's notice
in order to advise my neighbour to unlock his gate (as it would have
to be detached from the post).

August 26/05
A week passed with no contact from the company and no work done. I
called Kim and once again explained that I wanted the work completed
according to contract because the company had taken my money, and that
I needed a day's notice in order to advise my neighbour to unlock his
gate. She said she would send someone out next week.

September 2/05
I called and left a message for Kim stating that:
1. Once again, no one had shown up to do the work.
2. I felt that they were stringing me along and that no effort was
being made to either resolve this problem or to honour their original
contract in a timely manner.
3. I told her that I wanted this resolved in one of two ways:
· Settle on half the "total job price" for less than half the work
done and refund to me the $214 balance of payment; or
· Send a work crew out immediately to finish the job as originally
contracted.

I indicated that I would proceed with escalating my complaint,
starting with the Better Business Bureau, if nothing was done by the
end of the following week (September 9/05).

Once week later, I have heard nothing from Kim or anyone else at Fence
All.

CONCLUSION
In attempting to resolve this matter, I have dealt with Fence All in a
very polite and even-handed manner and I have put forth options which
are fair and equitable. I would like to see this issue resolved in a
cordial and timely manner according to one of those two options.

If no resolution is possible through the Better Business Bureau, I
will unfortunately be forced to continue to escalate this matter as
required until it is resolved.

Thank you for your attention to my submission.

Larry Capkun
(613)834-3420 (h)
(613)952-5068 (w)

envirot...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2014, 7:36:13 PM6/2/14
I would have gone to my credit card company ...you didn't give authority to the charge most card companies would fight for false charge.

djbla...@jerrwood.ca

Jun 17, 2016, 8:26:19 AM6/17/16
I had an entirely different experience. Good price, good service, installed exactly on time, and I got exactly what I wanted. The installer was great and made a good experience even better. Highly recommended.

stephen...@hotmail.com

Aug 19, 2016, 7:48:07 PM8/19/16
The sales person did a great job, sold me a fence in no time.... Their install teams are hacks who don't give a crap - sub contractors !!! The main office is no help, wont answer her phones or emails, if you do get a hold of a person be prepared for total BS lines, installs are not on time and essentially since you've already paid there is sweet nothing you can do.... I regret my choice, out of 5 quotes I chose this circus based on size of company, bad idea !!!! Dont do it....

dlafra...@climateforum.ca

Aug 30, 2016, 1:04:18 PM8/30/16
Has anyone had ANY complaints recently i.e. 2016 on Fence All - Ottawa fence company?

Thanks

Dd

dlafra...@climateforum.ca

Aug 30, 2016, 1:06:48 PM8/30/16
On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 7:48:07 PM UTC-4, stephen...@hotmail.com wrote:
> The sales person did a great job, sold me a fence in no time.... Their install teams are hacks who don't give a crap - sub contractors !!! The main office is no help, wont answer her phones or emails, if you do get a hold of a person be prepared for total BS lines, installs are not on time and essentially since you've already paid there is sweet nothing you can do.... I regret my choice, out of 5 quotes I chose this circus based on size of company, bad idea !!!! Dont do it....

Can you tell me who did your quote? Was it Barry?
Was work poorly done?

txs

courtne...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2016, 11:54:39 AM9/16/16
My neighbors recently used this company and tried to get us to as well. So glad we didn't. Seemed like it tok forever for them to finally get it up only for one side of it to completely fall over. Then weeks went by before anyone actually came to fix it.

mfto...@gmail.com

May 5, 2018, 4:35:40 PM5/5/18