Create a new /Volumes mount point without sudo

Harry Mallon

Sep 13, 2017, 12:27:05 PM9/13/17
to OSXFUSE
As a normal user I am able to double click on a dmg or sparsebundle and mount it under a new mount point under /Volumes. However I am unable to "mkdir /Volumes/hello". Is there a way of doing this through DIskArbitrartion or something that I am missing?

Benjamin Fleischer

Sep 13, 2017, 1:10:41 PM9/13/17
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Hello Harry,

FUSE for macOS 3.5.0 and later create mount points in /Volumes for you automatically. If a non-existing mount point is passed to FUSE, FUSE will create it for you and make sure the permissions are set correctly. sudo is not required.

However, some file systems like (older versions of) SSHFS check if the mount point exists (and fail with an error if it does not) before handing control over to FUSE. In this case then you might want to get in touch with the developer of that particular file system. May I ask which file system you are using?

Regards,
Benjamin

Am 13.09.2017 um 18:27 schrieb Harry Mallon <hjma...@gmail.com>:

As a normal user I am able to double click on a dmg or sparsebundle and mount it under a new mount point under /Volumes. However I am unable to "mkdir /Volumes/hello". Is there a way of doing this through DIskArbitrartion or something that I am missing?

Harry Mallon

Sep 13, 2017, 1:17:17 PM9/13/17
to OSXFUSE
Hello Benjamin,

I am part of a team developing software using OSXFUSE. We were using it long before version 3.5.0 which is why we were creating our own mount points. Thanks for the tip, it is working for me.

Yours,
Harry