mounting for standard users

tagnal

May 1, 2015, 3:47:35 PM5/1/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I am having an issue mounting a volume for standard users.  I am using a library called SolFS which uses osxfuse to mount their file system.  When running as an admin user, everything works fine.  When testing as a standard user, the volume fails to mount.  Searching this group, I found that by setting:  sysctl -w osxfuse.tunables.admin_group=12, standard users are now able to mount the volume.  However, the kernel parameter is not saved across reboots.

Is there some way to get this working for standard users that doesn't require them needing to enter admin credentials to set the kernel parameter?  OSXFUSE installation setting?

Sam Moffatt

May 1, 2015, 10:34:48 PM5/1/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
You could try appending the setting to /etc/sysctl.conf. I think the correct way is something set via launchd but try /etc/sysctl.conf and see if that works.

Cheers,

Sam
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM, 'tagnal' via OSXFUSE <osxfus...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I am having an issue mounting a volume for standard users.  I am using a library called SolFS which uses osxfuse to mount their file system.  When running as an admin user, everything works fine.  When testing as a standard user, the volume fails to mount.  Searching this group, I found that by setting:  sysctl -w osxfuse.tunables.admin_group=12, standard users are now able to mount the volume.  However, the kernel parameter is not saved across reboots.

Is there some way to get this working for standard users that doesn't require them needing to enter admin credentials to set the kernel parameter?  OSXFUSE installation setting?

tagnal

May 20, 2015, 3:51:45 PM5/20/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to mention what I ended up doing.  My software already has a launch daemon running as root in the background.  Initially, I tried to set the admin group parameter on startup, however, the osxfuse kernel process is not running yet.  So, what I did was, when I try to mount the volume (from my other process which runs as the user), if it fails because they are a standard user, I use IPC (DO) to tell the root process to set the kernel parameter, then re-attempt to mount from the user process.