How to read ext3 file system with OSXFUSE?

Michel Bouchet

Feb 18, 2016, 6:30:06 AM2/18/16
to OSXFUSE

I just installed OSXFUSE in order to be able to read linux ext3 formatted devices on my Mac. The installation went fine, But I don't see any new icon, app or any way to read my ext3 device.

When I plug the device in, it only shows this prompt:

The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

Initialize...   Ignore   Eject

What am I supposed to do?

Alejandro Exojo

Feb 18, 2016, 9:24:59 AM2/18/16
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com

On 18 February 2016 at 12:30, Michel Bouchet <michel....@gmail.com> wrote:
I just installed OSXFUSE in order to be able to read linux ext3 formatted devices on my Mac. The installation went fine, But I don't see any new icon, app or any way to read my ext3 device.

OSXFUSE is a tool for developers, not users. There is no icon to click or application to start. Unless some developer provided you with instructions about their OSXFUSE-using tool/program, there is nothing that OSXFUSE by itself can do. It needs the other part.

Michel Bouchet

Feb 18, 2016, 6:06:07 PM2/18/16
to OSXFUSE
I see. In that case I need to know about some "other part", so I can read my ext3 formatted devices on a Mac.

Gary Greene

Feb 18, 2016, 6:09:03 PM2/18/16
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
The “other part” would be an ext2 or ext3 driver for FUSE. There are a couple up on SourceForge.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.

François Cauneau

Apr 17, 2016, 3:48:54 PM4/17/16
to OSXFUSE
This is a very rare case, but I must say that I went stuck exactly the same way than Michel Bouchet.

The osxfuse team should be aware that most of research engines end up to osx fuse as an end-user oriented solution to use ext-k FS on osX - quite as a successor of the old fuse project.
The answer you provide to Michel, "OSXFUSE is a tool for developers, not users. There is no icon to click or application to start…" should be somewhere clearly on top of homepage of site and as a Readme.

I'm far from a beginner in both Linux, osX worlds, but I must say that this lack of elementary information drive people in a complete waste of time.

François

Sam Moffatt

Apr 17, 2016, 7:39:16 PM4/17/16
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
The banner at the top of http://osxfuse.github.io states:
“FUSE for OS X
The easiest and fastest way to create file systems for OS X”

Could you suggest a clearer wording perhaps?