How to set mount option allow_root for "Box Drive"

roman.ra...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2018, 3:42:48 AM3/6/18
to OSXFUSE
Hi all
We are using box.com for cloud data storage. The mac app for this ("Box Drive" version 1.8.57) uses osxfuse (version 3.7.1) for mounting something like a network drive.

I'd sleep more comfortably if I could keep a "local" backup of this data. I've set up Carbon Copy Cloner (version 4.1.20) to do this, but I get the following error message:
CCC cannot read the contents of the source volume because they are inaccessible to the System Administrator user account.
CCC cannot back up to or from an OS X FUSE volume mounted without the "allow_root" or "allow_other" option.

I found the documentation of the mount options for osxfuse at https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/Mount-options
What I don't know is how I set them for the box app. I posted this question in the troubleshooting section on box.com, but found no takers there.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Roman

ho...@archiware.com

Mar 6, 2018, 4:22:40 PM3/6/18
to OSXFUSE
Try WingFS it uses the allow_other option and it can mount box.com as a network drive.

roman.ra...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2018, 11:05:10 AM3/7/18
to OSXFUSE
Hi Houri
Thank you for the pointer, I appreciate it.
There are several people using this cloud service in a professional setting. I'd prefer sticking to the official box app. I will look into WingFS for private use though.

Any other ideas?

Sam Moffatt

Mar 7, 2018, 11:53:54 PM3/7/18
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Swap tools and use something like rsync running as the logged in user to copy it somewhere else. If you want to use the official app then you’re unlikely to be able to cleanly change its internal behaviour.

--
Sam Moffatt

Note: I'm not at my desk, responses may be delayed. Apologies for the typos, smartphones aren't all that smart.