Basic Question: How do I use Fuse?

S.Cook

May 22, 2015, 11:52:19 AM5/22/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
TLDR; Looking at this page I installed OSX Fuse but cannot find the sshfs executable.  Where is it?  And please add a better Getting Started guide to the OSX Fuse site.

This is a question and a request for the maintainers of the OSX Fuse site: It is not at all obvious how to get started using OSX Fuse once I have installed it.  Clearly I'm new to Fuse but that doesn't mean there should be a brief "Getting Started" guide that simply explains how to make use of the software once it's installed.  The OSX Fuse site is very nicely designed and 'pretty' to look at (that's no sarcasm, I truly appreciate technical sites that are easy on the eyes) and there seems to be ample explanation of what Fuse is and how to install it.  There is also plenty of community support, a Wiki, FAQ, Download page, etc.  All I need is something like this page that explains where to find the executable, what the parameters are and how to use it.  The executable listed on that page, sshfs, is not in my system $PATH after installing Fuse nor can Spotlight find it.

Thanks,
-S

Sam Moffatt

May 22, 2015, 9:51:25 PM5/22/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
On the getting started page you link at the end of the first paragraph on the right hand side immediately below the link to download OSXFUSE is a link to download sshfs. After you downloaded and installed that package, you're saying you still don't have sshfs?

Cheers,

Sam

--
Sam Moffatt

Note: I'm not at my desk, responses may be delayed. Apologies for the typos, smartphones aren't all that smart.

Tadd Torborg

Jun 5, 2015, 4:08:17 PM6/5/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Sam I downloaded and installed the package and there is no sshfs command still.  There are plenty of folders with that name now.  I open terminal and type sshfs and get
-bash: sshfs: command not found

I am having the same experience as s.cook
I'm fine with doing a google chat if you want me to poke around my system and check it out.  I'm using 10.10.3 Yosemite on a Mac Pro (Early 2008)
  Tadd

Octopussy:~ tadd$ sshfs

-bash: sshfs: command not found

Octopussy:~ tadd$ env | grep PATH

PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

Octopussy:~ tadd$

Sam Moffatt

Jun 5, 2015, 10:24:15 PM6/5/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
So you downloaded the OSXFUSE
Package and the sshfs package then after installing both you don't have the sshfs command?

--
Sam Moffatt

Note: I'm not at my desk, responses may be delayed. Apologies for the typos, smartphones aren't all that smart.

Andy Robbins

Jun 9, 2015, 4:35:55 PM6/9/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,
Would anyone mind explaining "for a dummy" how to use this thing ?
I too cannot find any trace of the app after installing the Fuse pkg and the sshfs pkg.

I am just trying to read/write to a NTFS volume, and thought OSXFUSE would be a solution...

cheers...

Alejandro Exojo

Jun 9, 2015, 5:24:31 PM6/9/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
On 9 June 2015 at 22:35, Andy Robbins <tngo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would anyone mind explaining "for a dummy" how to use this thing ?
> I too cannot find any trace of the app after installing the Fuse pkg and the sshfs pkg.
>
> I am just trying to read/write to a NTFS volume, and thought OSXFUSE would be a solution...

OSXFUSE by itself does nothing, and it provides no application. It is
an enabler to other applications. Those can leverage OSXFUSE to
provide functionality much more easily that doing it from scratch. If
you installed OSXFUSE and SSHFS this has no direct relation to NTFS
disks.

That said... There is a page in the wiki that gives some hints:

https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/NTFS-3G

That link seems old, so it might not work. There are up to date
packages in some other website, but that's not for free, it seems.

Andy Robbins

Jun 9, 2015, 8:44:22 PM6/9/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alejandro !