fuse-xfs on El Capitan no longer works, and won't reinstall. SIP?

Tim R-S

Nov 11, 2015, 11:28:49 AM11/11/15
to OSXFUSE
Since upgrading to El Capitan I found that I could no longer mount XFS volumes with OSXFUSE and fuse-xfs installed and working on Yosemite.

I took a look at the installer, and with a bit of research have concluded that most likely due to SIP, it's no longer possible to install the /sbin/mount_fuse-xfs script. I'm guessing the upgrade must have wiped any unofficial Apple code. Certainly the script is not there, and an attempt to reinstall came up with an error.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, has anyone got a workaround? I could try disabling SIP and installing again, but wanted to see if I'm missing something first.

Tim R-S

Nov 12, 2015, 6:10:25 PM11/12/15
to OSXFUSE
Problem fixed: I disabled SIP, reinstalled fuse-xfs and all is fine. Re-enabled SIP just to be sure it doesn't scan for non-catalog files and wipe them.

Is this typical of other file systems since El Capitan, given that most mount scripts are in /sbin? Does anyone know of a proper fix?

John Grigutis

Nov 13, 2015, 10:11:05 AM11/13/15
to OSXFUSE
I believe the correct location for user installed binaries is now /usr/local/…. From Ars Technica:

Instead of allowing developers to put files wherever they want, El Cap offers four canonical safe locations for applications, support files, and drivers:
  • /Library
  • ~/Library
  • /usr/local
  • /Applications

Gary Greene

Nov 19, 2015, 5:02:41 AM11/19/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I rebuilt the package for this with munkipkg and patching the script to use /usr/local, instead of /usr and / for the prefix. Seems to work well after that.

Sent from my iPad