Plan to support Fuse 2.9/3.0?

Nat

Dec 31, 2014, 5:26:38 PM12/31/14
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Is there any plan to bring the OSXFUSE to support newer FUSE API like big writes/write back cache etc soon?

Benjamin Fleischer

Jan 2, 2015, 9:04:54 AM1/2/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
osxfuse has supported big writes (> 4 KiB) from day one. By default osxfuse uses an I/O size of 64 KiB. For osxfuse 2.x the maximum supported I/O size is 1 MiB. For details see https://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/OPTIONS (option iosize).

I have not spend much time looking into the write back cache implementation on Linux but from what I could gather osxfuse's asynchronous I/O feature should come pretty close. To enable asynchronous writes specify the nosyncwrites option when mounting a FUSE volume. Please note that enabling asynchronous writes poses a much higher risk of data loss compared to synchronous writes.

Regards,
Benjamin

Am 31.12.2014 um 23:26 schrieb Nat <nat....@gmail.com>:

Is there any plan to bring the OSXFUSE to support newer FUSE API like big writes/write back cache etc soon?

Nat

Jan 2, 2015, 1:09:53 PM1/2/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. One of the reasons I bring this up is also the ABI compatibility. FUSE 2.9.3 seems to have capability negotiation in fuse_init() where OSXFUSE does not have as it was forked from FUSE 2.6/7. (I think OSXFUSE already uses some bytes in fuse_conn_info struct for OSX specific options)