FUSE for macOS performance vs scp and rsync

Gary Paduana

Mar 22, 2017, 3:59:47 PM3/22/17
to OSXFUSE
I'm on a local gigabit network.  The server has an i3-4160 with 16GB of RAM running Ubuntu Server 16.04.  The client is a 2015 rMBP 15" running macOS Sierra 10.12.3.  I'm using FUSE for macOS v3.5.6.

I'm able to achieve about 18MB/sec using pv to transfer a file on the command line from the server mounted with SSHFS.
I'm able to achieve about 108MB/sec using scp to transfer the same file.

Is this expected performance for FUSE and SSHFS?  Are there any options I can set to try and speed things up for large transfers?  I've already tried -o iosize=33554432 -o compression=no

Thanks

Joel Cretan

Mar 28, 2017, 12:35:38 AM3/28/17
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I haven't done any formal measurements, but in my own casual
observations, I can confirm that sshfs tends to be pretty slow, even
when mounting a filesystem from a VM running on the same machine.

HTH,
Joel