OSXFuse as a folder

Aderium

Sep 14, 2011, 12:24:23 AM9/14/11
to FUSE for OS X (OSXFUSE)
Is it possible to use OSXFuse to create a Fuse FS that is represented
as a TRUE folder and not a Volume ? I would like to drag files an not
copy them

Erik Larsson

Sep 14, 2011, 12:33:32 AM9/14/11
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com

Any operation where you drag some content from one folder onto a
filesystem mounted with OSXFUSE is always going to result in a hard copy
operation (data transfer) since it passes a file system boundary.
Similarly hard links cannot be created over file system boundaries.

What kind of behaviour do you want to achieve?

- Erik

Ritik Malhotra

Apr 28, 2015, 5:38:49 PM4/28/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I'm also looking to do this for the same reason as Aderium -- to have drag and drops be treated as a move and not a copy. Any idea how I could make this happen?

Sam Moffatt

Apr 28, 2015, 9:50:11 PM4/28/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
There is no way in your file system to influence this as the interaction is many layers above where OSXFUSE or even the VFS layer is involved. You would need to alter how Finder behaves to make it aware that it is communicating with your file system and then call something internal to your file system via a different API (e.g. not through OSXFUSE) to handle the operation.

What you could do is what solutions like Dropbox do. That is to watch a directory on the actual file system and then propagate the appropriate actions from there. At that point you don't need OSXFUSE because you will be just watching for events from the underlying file system and then replicating them to what ever backing store you are interested in.

Cheers,

Sam

Ritik Malhotra

Apr 30, 2015, 9:04:24 PM4/30/15