ext4, btrfs, xfs and zfs in OS X?

os explorer

Aug 2, 2012, 3:09:59 AM8/2/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I just wonder are there osxfuse-based plugins that allows R/W access to the following filesystems:

ext4
btrfs
xfs
zfs

Also is NTFS-3G the most feature-complete open-source ntfs driver that supports RW?

Thanks!

OS Explorer

Robert Genito

Aug 3, 2012, 1:37:47 AM8/3/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I definitely want to know about this as well! I'm looking to make slight modifications in ext for specific applications.

Daniel Bethe

Aug 7, 2012, 3:27:02 PM8/7/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Hi there.  I don't know the answer to your question but I'm hailing from the MacZFS camp at http://maczfs.org/ which has a native kernel implementation of onnv_74 (zpool v8, zfs v2).  In a perfect world, if people have enough time and whatnot, we would like to collaborate with FUSE at least for the purpose of debugging in userspace.  I just subscribed to this mailing list.  I'm not a programmer, but I authored the FAQ and much of the rest, so please let me know if I can help.  I'm dtm in IRC on irc.freenode.net in #mac-zfs.

Daniel Bethe

Aug 7, 2012, 7:27:30 PM8/7/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com

>Hi there.  I don't know the answer to your question but I'm hailing from the MacZFS camp at http://maczfs.org/ which has a native kernel implementation of onnv_74 (zpool v8, zfs v2).  In a perfect world, if people have enough time and whatnot, we would like to collaborate with FUSE at least for the purpose of debugging in userspace.  I just subscribed to this mailing list.  I'm not a programmer, but I authored the FAQ and much of the rest, so please let me know if I can help.  I'm dtm in IRC on irc.freenode.net in #mac-zfs.

Hey as a huge coincidence, one of the MacZFS engineers named Bjoern has just published some notes which he had written down a long long time ago, maybe years ago, on a piece of paper, on the subject of porting MacZFS to MacFUSE.  In addition to not having enough time to fix everything in the world, he found that zfs-fuse just wouldn't compile on the 2010 release of MacFUSE.  It is suspected that if he had gotten anywhere with it, MacFUSE might not have been robust enough to have supported ZFS.

It is our sincere hope that things have changed, or are changing, and we're excited to see that FUSE development has resumed on Mac OS.  Has

He said, "They will probably laugh at me, for having little to no clue on fuse." but I thought it's worth sharing one person's observations in order to open a dialog.

http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/wiki/Roadmap#Porting_to_FUSE

Daniel Bethe

Aug 9, 2012, 3:32:20 AM8/9/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Bethe
Sorry, I reorganized our wiki.  So now it's here:  http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/wiki/PortingNotes

Has anyone actually tried compiling ZFS-FUSE on OSXFUSE at all?  I don't see any mention of ZFS in this mailing list history, so I hope I'm totally missing something.

"Even more recently, ZFS became accessible under OS X thanks to the MacFUSE project."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2007/03/zfs-and-os-x-growing-closer-all-the-time/

"Work on ZFS at Apple continued even as Amit Singh's MacFUSE project enabled users to load ZFS as a user space module. That eventually lead to read-only support being included in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/03/how-zfs-is-slowly-making-its-way-to-mac-os-x/

Benjamin Fleischer

Aug 9, 2012, 5:53:28 PM8/9/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

> Has anyone actually tried compiling ZFS-FUSE on OSXFUSE at all? I don't see any mention of ZFS in this mailing list history, so I hope I'm totally missing something.

Personally I have not tried to run ZFS-FUSE. As far as I know this is the first time this topic is discussed on this mailing list. In general if ZFS-FUSE worked with MacFUSE it should work with OSXFUSE as well.

> It is our sincere hope that things have changed, or are changing, and we're excited to see that FUSE development has resumed on Mac OS.

I hope so, too. But there is still a lot of work that needs to be done. I would not say that OSXFUSE is rock solid but its getting there.

> He said, "They will probably laugh at me, for having little to no clue on fuse." but I thought it's worth sharing one person's observations in order to open a dialog.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not know much about ZFS. This should make us even.

Regards,
Benjamin

Daniel Bethe

Aug 9, 2012, 6:55:45 PM8/9/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com

> Personally I have not tried to run ZFS-FUSE. As far as I know this is the first
> time this topic is discussed on this mailing list. In general if ZFS-FUSE worked
> with MacFUSE it should work with OSXFUSE as well.

If someone got anywhere with that, it would seem to be a huge feather in one's cap.  ;)  You might not need anything else to expose bugs or flaws in OSXFUSE right now, but it would surely prove some strengths if it did work.  It would aid in the development of ZFS, and give options to users.

I scanned our mailing list archives and all I see are the bog-standard naysaying against FUSE, against userspace, blah blah blah.  I believe that they'll listen now.  ;)  We're all in the same boat, so here's to the crazy ones.

> I hope so, too. But there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.  I would
> not say that OSXFUSE is rock solid but its getting there.

It is very cool to see so many revisions and so much activity coming out.  Congratulations, fellow intrepid hackers.

>> He said, "They will probably laugh at me, for having little to no clue
> on fuse." but I thought it's worth sharing one person's
> observations in order to open a dialog.
>
> I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not know much about ZFS. This should
> make us even.

We wouldn't ever laugh at anyone; he's just a formal kind of guy.  ;)

Absolutely any assistance on MacZFS is welcome, and we're working to make it more accessible to new developers.  Do you have an IRC channel?  I see nobody in #osxfuse on irc.freenode.net.  We have #mac-zfs and there is also #zfs.

On another topic, since MacZFS doesn't support case insensitivity yet, I was wondering about whether this runs on OSXFUSE.

http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/ciopfs/

It would seem to be superior to our present workaround of hosting a sparsebundle image of case-insensitive HFS+.

Thanks, guys!

Alexandre Hardy

Sep 10, 2012, 12:10:47 AM9/10/12
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com