Why do I need FUSE for OSX

Oct 12, 2015, 10:53:27 AM10/12/15
to OSXFUSE
I don't remember installing it. What caused it to install on the background?

Alejandro Exojo

Oct 12, 2015, 11:13:38 AM10/12/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
Some application that allows you to use some remote disk, or some
"special" partition/volume type, like NTFS.

On 12 October 2015 at 16:53, J <sums....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't remember installing it. What caused it to install on the background?

bigbro

Oct 12, 2015, 4:50:54 PM10/12/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
I use it for sshfs, allowing me to mount remote Linux volumes on my apple computer. Did you mount remote volumes in the past, as the previous poster suggested?

Best regards,
-->Gar

--
Gareth 'bigbro' Eason

Sam Moffatt

Oct 12, 2015, 7:33:35 PM10/12/15
to osxfus...@googlegroups.com
OSXFUSE is a library for writing filesystems which many systems use to provide custom filesystems (NTFS in Tuxera's case, virtual disk mounting for tools like VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop).

There is a wide number of apps that silently install OSXFUSE, MacFUSE (OSXFUSE's predecessor) or FUSE4X (another fork of MacFUSE):
- NTFS-3G / Tuxera NTFS for Mac (driver for the Windows filesystem NTFS)
- fuse-ext2 (driver for the Linux filesystem Ext2)
- VMware Fusion (for accessing virtual disks)
- Parallels Desktop (the same as above, I think)
- MacFusion
- ExpanDrive
- sshfs
- Connected Data's Transporter

If you didn't install it then something else did and may have different apps that may be depending upon both.

Potentially the easiest way is to on the command use the "mount" command to see if there is anything that uses a filesystem with FUSE in it's name and work backwards.

For example Connected Desktop on my machine has this:
Connected Desktop@fuse0 on /Users/pasamio/Connected Data (fuse4x, nodev, nosuid, synchronous, mounted by pasamio)

Obviously that's a FUSE4X filesystem but you'll see other similar entries for OSXFUSE.

I suggest looking at mount on the command line and seeing which file system type shows up. That might give you an idea of what is being used right now but it won't tell you if an app is dependent upon one library or the other. You could try uninstalling one (probably MacFUSE first since it's the oldest) and seeing what breaks :) but I would probably leave them alone.

Cheers,

Sam