How to completely disable one stuck key

Paul McKernan

Jan 8, 2015, 5:45:58 PM1/8/15
to osx-ka...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Firstly this program is amazing and has stopped my mac crashing due to repeated key press!

I'm having trouble due to water damage with the backslash key, I have remapped it to forward delete but ideally would like to be able to completely disable the stuck key so it performs no function whatsoever. Is there a setting that i've missed or would i need XML to perform this?

Thanks,

Paul

Takayama Fumihiko

Jan 9, 2015, 2:14:59 AM1/9/15
to paulmck...@gmail.com, osx-ka...@googlegroups.com
> would i need XML to perform this?
Yes. Please use this private.xml.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tekezo/Files/master/Karabiner/private.disable_backslash/private.xml

--
Takayama Fumihiko <tek...@pqrs.org>

Paul McKernan

Jan 9, 2015, 2:16:20 AM1/9/15
to Takayama Fumihiko, osx-ka...@googlegroups.com

You're a hero, honestly. saved me $250 keyboard replacement. much love from NZ

On 2015/01/09 7:45, Paul McKernan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly this program is amazing and has stopped my mac crashing due to repeated key press!
>
> I'm having trouble due to water damage with the backslash key, I have remapped it to forward delete but ideally would like to be able to completely disable the stuck key so it performs no function
> whatsoever. Is there a setting that i've missed or would i need XML to perform this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

flashi...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2016, 6:37:34 PM6/23/16
to Karabiner, tek...@pqrs.org
How to disable semicolon key?

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 11:16:20 PM UTC-8, Paul McKernan wrote:

You're a hero, honestly. saved me $250 keyboard replacement. much love from NZ

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 8:14 pm Takayama Fumihiko <tek...@pqrs.org> wrote:
 > would i need XML to perform this?
Yes. Please use this private.xml.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tekezo/Files/master/Karabiner/private.disable_backslash/private.xml

--
Takayama Fumihiko <tek...@pqrs.org>

On 2015/01/09 7:45, Paul McKernan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly this program is amazing and has stopped my mac crashing due to repeated key press!
>
> I'm having trouble due to water damage with the backslash key, I have remapped it to forward delete but ideally would like to be able to completely disable the stuck key so it performs no function
> whatsoever. Is there a setting that i've missed or would i need XML to perform this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Takayama Fumihiko

Jun 23, 2016, 10:09:48 PM6/23/16
to flashi...@gmail.com, Karabiner
Please use new setting by this private.xml:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tekezo/Files/master/Karabiner/private.disable_semicolon/private.xml

How to use private.xml:
https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/document.html#privatexml

--

On 6/24/16 07:37, flashi...@gmail.com wrote:
> How to disable semicolon key?
>

> On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 11:16:20 PM UTC-8, Paul McKernan wrote:
>>
>> You're a hero, honestly. saved me $250 keyboard replacement. much love
>> from NZ

>>> Yes. Please use this private.xml.
>>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tekezo/Files/master/
>>> Karabiner/private.disable_backslash/private.xml
>>>
>>> --
>>> Takayama Fumihiko <tek...@pqrs.org <javascript:>>

>>> repeated key press!

>>> remapped it to forward delete but ideally would like to be able to
>>> completely disable the stuck key so it performs no function
>>> perform this?

>>> an email to osx-karabine...@googlegroups.com <javascript:> <mailto:
>>> osx-karabine...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.

rosann...@gmail.com

May 6, 2017, 10:24:40 AM5/6/17
to Karabiner
How to disable forward slash key?!

Thanks!

eatingco...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2018, 3:45:09 PM8/10/18
to Karabiner
Hi, Fumihiko!

Can you please explain where to enter the xml you provided to disable the backslash? I looked at the link you provided below, but didn't see anything about it.

Thank you!

ketanrock...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2020, 4:51:26 AM4/20/20
to Karabiner

how do I disable z key using karabiner? It is stuck and is repeating constantly.

ketanrock...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2020, 5:17:34 AM4/20/20
to Karabiner

Found an answer to disable one stuck key using Karabiner.

Solution

In simple modifications --->Under from tab, select key you was to disable (my case it was z) ----->Under to key tab, select option  'vk_none(disable this key)'

Your key will be disabled.
You can then use accessibility keyboard key for disabled key.

Hope it helps!

wonde...@gmail.com

May 27, 2020, 9:15:03 PM5/27/20
to Karabiner
Thank you!! I was almost ready to buy a new laptop because the "r" key was going nuts...this totally worked! Disabled the key, and reassigned the accent-grave key (which I never use) to type r. Yay!

Mickey White

Jul 23, 2023, 1:49:46 PM7/23/23
to Karabiner
Hi there! I am deal\ing with uncon\trol\l\abl\e backsl\ash issue as wel\l\ and am no\t sure how\ to \fix.\ I no\ticed above you\ incl\uded some sort o\f code but I'm unsure o\f how\ to \appl\y it.\ Any help\ is much appreciated!!!