IEEE 802.2 support

Peter Koch Larsen

Mar 11, 2017, 2:42:20 AM3/11/17
to ostinato
Hi all,

I have just discovered Ostinato and it looks really cool. Just a few questions:
1) How can I send a IEEE 802.2 packet with data? I need to support the ES-IS and other ISO protocols over 802.2 and can't find a way to create the packet. If I go to advanced and select Eth II (which looks like 802.2 to me) and then add HexDump, I am unable to enter data there.

2) I had a crash while trying to learn the product. If this happens again, is there anything I can do to help fixing the problems?

Best regards
Peter

Peter Koch Larsen

Mar 11, 2017, 5:17:40 AM3/11/17
to ostinato
I have tried some more and have some updates on my progress.
- I did manage to write in the hexdump-part of the protocol. I do not know how I succeeded, but I did - among other things - restart ostinato and reload my protocol data.
But now I have other problems:
1) Frame Length inconsistency. I am told that my frame-length should be at least 37 bytes long, but I only have 33 bytes. So I need to set the frame length to 37 bytes. The packet-view window only shows 33 bytes, however.
2) I am unable to transmit the packet. Even increasing the packet size (to 66 or 70) bytes does not resolve the problem.

I am currently using ostinato under Windows 10. Could that be the problem?

Peter Koch Larsen

Mar 11, 2017, 7:07:13 AM3/11/17
to ostinato
One last update - perhaps my problems are solved.

I can use the 802.3/LLC option and send my ES-IS packet without any problems.
My question is if this protocol is "also" an 802.2 protocol? Wireshark decodes my packet without any problems, but I am a little bit unsure if I am choosing the correct sub-layer for my code: I do not currently have access to any real receiver (which is an aircraft), and supplying both sides of the comm-link could result in a misguided belief that the protocol works correctly. I should add that I am in no way a networks expert, this being my first real experience in writing low level networking software.
Another observation I have made is that the hexdump window only accepts lowercase letters for input. This is in my view very close to being a bug and certainly caused some confusion on my part. I can not reject that this was the reason that I could not enter data previously even if I do believe that I did try to also enter values from 0-9.

/Peter

Carlos G Mendioroz

Mar 11, 2017, 7:37:37 AM3/11/17
to Peter Koch Larsen, ostinato
802.2 is the LLC used in 802.3. Upper layer. 802.3 is the ethernet frame
MAC and Phy.

Even though I've been doing networking for 30+years, details evade me
because you seldom get entangled with them.
Also, if you do it by the standard, you'd better test it with the real
thing before you feel you are done :)

Last, if it's documented, it's not a bug, it's a feature. Lower case and
upper case codes are different, and the extra logic to handle both is
not worthwhile sometimes...

HTH,
-Carlos

Peter Koch Larsen @ 11/03/2017 09:07 -0300 dixit:
> --
> Get Ostinato News and Updates on Twitter - Follow @ostinato
> (http://twitter.com/ostinato)
> ---

Carlos G Mendioroz <tr...@huapi.ba.ar> LW7 EQI Argentina

Peter Koch Larsen

Mar 11, 2017, 1:24:10 PM3/11/17
to ostinato, peter.ko...@gmail.com, tr...@huapi.ba.ar
Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your answer. For me this is also the first time I have worked with OSI-networks though I vaguely remember them being praised when I studied at the university.
Surely, this will be tested in the real world, but that is expensive and will not happen before I am completely confident that my code is correct.
I accept your remark regarding case. ;-)

/Peter

Srivats P

Mar 12, 2017, 12:06:39 AM3/12/17
to Peter Koch Larsen, ostinato, Carlos G Mendioroz
Peter,

Please raise a issue on GitHub regarding the uppercase problem for the
HexDump protocol.

Srivats
> email to ostinato+u...@googlegroups.com.

http://ostinato.org/
@ostinato

Peter Koch Larsen

Mar 12, 2017, 5:31:01 PM3/12/17

Den søndag den 12. marts 2017 kl. 06.06.39 UTC+1 skrev Srivats P:
Peter,

Please raise a issue on GitHub regarding the uppercase problem for the
HexDump protocol.

Done. My first github issue. I presume labeling the issue is up to you or someone involved in ostinato?
I really would have labeled the issue as "minor" or "improvement" if I had the opportunity.

Best regards
Peter

Srivats P

Mar 13, 2017, 11:21:20 AM3/13/17
to Peter Koch Larsen, ostinato, Carlos G Mendioroz
Thank you Peter! It really helps to report bugs and file issues.

btw I've updated the version of the QHexWidget
(https://github.com/Simsys/qhexedit2) used in Ostinato and the problem
should be fixed now.

Srivats