What to make of ossec-hosts.* files

fi...@vivaldi.net

Dec 16, 2014, 4:04:23 PM12/16/14
to Ossec List
Hi,

I see a bunch of files in /var/ossec with names of the form
ossec-hosts.*. what are they and how can I stop the system from creating
them?

Here are a few examples.

ossec-hosts.1i6uugNQB3
ossec-hosts.BFHjPh9dwg
ossec-hosts.i4EvjkDXUh
ossec-hosts.U3thtpzm6b
ossec-hosts.1MeJfr9MGt

TIA,

--
finid

fi...@vivaldi.net

Dec 16, 2014, 4:19:15 PM12/16/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
So those files appear to be temporary files. Shouldn't they be in /tmp,
instead of /var/ossec?

--
finid

Brent Morris

Dec 16, 2014, 4:28:51 PM12/16/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
I think what you're seeing is what is described in CVE-2014-5284 - http://www.ossec.net/?p=1135

Basically, they were in /tmp, and then a vulnerability was disclosed... so those files were moved from /tmp to /var/ossec in 2.8.1

fi...@vivaldi.net

Dec 16, 2014, 5:19:47 PM12/16/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Since they are all empty files, nothing should break if they are all
deleted, right?

--
finid
> --
>
> ---
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout
Message has been deleted

Nadir Boussoukaia

Apr 14, 2017, 6:02:25 PM4/14/17
to ossec-list

For the record, what I do:

vi active-response/host-deny.sh
at the end for  TMP_FILE you cans replace  occurrences of /var/ossec/ by  /var/ossec/tmp