Maxiumum Number of Agents Allowed

PJG

Aug 18, 2011, 5:49:26 AM8/18/11
to ossec-list
Dear All,

We are planning on ramping up our OSSEC deployment.

There's a warning which is seen in the log files which states:

INFO: Maximum number of agents allowed: '256'.

Does anyone know if this is an actual limit, or simply recommended?

Also if it is breached, does this have any impact on the service?

If so, is there anyway to increase this amount?

Thanks

Pip

dan (ddp)

Aug 18, 2011, 8:12:28 AM8/18/11
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:49 AM, PJG <slt...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We are planning on ramping up our OSSEC deployment.
>
> There's a warning which is seen in the log files which states:
>
> INFO: Maximum number of agents allowed: '256'.
>
> Does anyone know if this is an actual limit, or simply recommended?

It's a real limit. It's in the source.
http://www.ossec.net/doc/faq/unexpected.html#errors-when-dealing-with-multiple-agents

> Also if it is breached, does this have any impact on the service?
>
> If so, is there anyway to increase this amount?

http://www.ossec.net/doc/faq/unexpected.html#errors-when-dealing-with-multiple-agents

> Thanks
>
> Pip

Swartz, Patrick H

Aug 18, 2011, 8:52:14 AM8/18/11
to ossec-list
That is the default maximum, however it is modifiable by going into the
/src directory (of the install package) and running "make setmaxagents",
this will prompt you asking for a new maximum value.
You will then need to recompile to take advantage of the new value.
We currently use 4096 (with close to 2000 active agents) with no issues.

Patrick Swartz
The information in this message may be proprietary and/or
confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
received this communication in error, please notify First Data
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
computer.

PJG

Aug 19, 2011, 4:24:26 AM8/19/11
to ossec-list
Spot on. Thanks very much for the speedy response.

On Aug 18, 1:52 pm, "Swartz, Patrick H" <Patrick.Swa...@firstdata.com>
wrote:
> computer.- Hide quoted text -

Michael Starks

Aug 20, 2011, 11:01:06 PM8/20/11
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On 08/18/2011 07:52 AM, Swartz, Patrick H wrote:
> That is the default maximum, however it is modifiable by going into the
> /src directory (of the install package) and running "make setmaxagents",
> this will prompt you asking for a new maximum value.
> You will then need to recompile to take advantage of the new value.
> We currently use 4096 (with close to 2000 active agents) with no issues.
>
> Patrick Swartz

I would also recommend some OS tuning with that many agents:
http://www.immutablesecurity.com/index.php/2010/10/20/2woo-tips-tricks/

jonathan...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 5:10:08 PM1/20/17
to ossec-list, ossec...@michaelstarks.com
Is there a way to set the max number of agents without recompiling the installer?

Kat

Jan 22, 2017, 4:18:20 PM1/22/17
to ossec-list
In case anyone is curious - with proper server sizing, I have run OSSEC Managers with 20-30,000 agents connected.

:-)
Kat

Victor Fernandez

Jan 23, 2017, 1:08:09 PM1/23/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

unfortunately there is no way to do this, since the maximum agents parameter is used to create some static arrays into the code. This makes necessary to re-compile and install the binaries.

Best regards.

--

---

Victor M. Fernandez-Castro