running ossec-authd in the background as a daemon

Martinouh

May 3, 2017, 11:01:31 AM5/3/17
to ossec-list
Hello,

I'd like to keep my manager listening to new agent willing to register, because my infrastructure will often change.

But I've read that ossec-authd should not be running all the time for security.

So how am i supposed to do if I want to add new agent very often, do I have to always launch the ossec-authd on the manager ?

Best regards.

Pedro Sanchez

May 7, 2017, 6:11:26 AM5/7/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You could use password setting for ossec-authd and/or SSL certificates to validate/authorize incoming requests, using those capabilities could help you justify have the service running all time.
At the end every service listening in a server could by "risky" but it does not mean you MUST have ossec-authd disabled.

Once script that help me out in the past is:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# Stop previous ossec-authd instances
# Boot ossec-authd
echo "Starting ossec-authd..."
. /etc/ossec-init.conf
echo "Killing previous instances..."
pkill ossec-authd
$DIRECTORY/bin/ossec-authd -f0 -i -P > /dev/null 2>&1 &
echo "ossec-authd started"
ps aux | grep ossec-authd | grep -v grep

Maybe you can switch on/off easily ossec-authd server like that.

Best,
Pedro.

--

---

Martinouh

May 16, 2017, 6:00:54 AM5/16/17
to ossec-list
Thank you for your answer.

But to use the `-P` option, I've to use the wazuh fork.  I'm currently on ossec 2.8.3, and I can't seem to get the `-v` option working either ... But in the doc it's says that it was implemented after 2.8.1.

Or is there a way to get the 2.9.0 version via apt-get ?

Jose Luis Ruiz

May 16, 2017, 8:13:40 AM5/16/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin

We are working in the 2.9.0 deb packages,  should be ready soon to install by apt-get.

We will post some news soon.

Regards