File shared/agent.conf not found

Craig

Jul 26, 2016, 1:29:57 PM7/26/16
to ossec-list
Environment: Version 2.9RC2 client/server

When starting my agent service, I get the following:
2016/07/26 12:27:54 ossec-agent(1226): ERROR: Error reading XML file 'shared/agent.conf': XMLERR: File 'shared/agent.conf' not found. (line 8).

On my server, the file is certainly there and the the verify-agent-config script checks out okay

Any idea on what might be causing this?

Thank you!

dan (ddp)

Jul 26, 2016, 1:59:05 PM7/26/16
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Is the file on the agent?
What are the permissions of the /var/ossec/etc/shared directory?
Do the contents of the agent.conf show up in the server's
/var/ossec/etc/shared/merged.mg file? In the agent's?

> Thank you!
>
> --
>
> ---

Craig

Jul 26, 2016, 2:11:22 PM7/26/16
to ossec-list
Thanks Dan. The permissions on my server folder:

drwxrwx---  2 root ossec   4096 Jul 26 12:37 shared

Yes, the contents of agent.conf are in merged.mg on the server

No, I do not even see a merged.mg on the windows agent

Thanks for any ideas that may help resolve!!

dan (ddp)

Jul 26, 2016, 2:24:59 PM7/26/16
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Craig <chmit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Dan. The permissions on my server folder:
>
> drwxrwx--- 2 root ossec 4096 Jul 26 12:37 shared
>
> Yes, the contents of agent.conf are in merged.mg on the server
>
> No, I do not even see a merged.mg on the windows agent

I missed that it was a Windows agent in the original message. I don't
have one do check, so I don't know how it really works in this
situation.
I guess try restarting the Windows agent services. I don't know what
the permissions should be for the shared directory in Windows.
Also make sure ossec-monitord is running on the server. I think that
handles this stuff.

Craig

Jul 26, 2016, 2:41:49 PM7/26/16
to ossec-list
Thanks Dan,
Yes, my server is running Ubuntu 16.04 with OSSEC 2.9RC2
I have a Windows 7 2.9RC2 agent installed, registered, and communicating with the OSSEC Ubuntu server
For some reason, though, I can't get it to pull the agent.conf file from the server
I have tried restarting the agent service on the Windows 7 agent multiple times, but still get the same:
2016/07/26 12:27:54 ossec-agent(1226): ERROR: Error reading XML file 'shared/agent.conf': XMLERR: File 'shared/agent.conf' not found. (line 8).
The ossec-monitord service on the Ubuntu server is running
If I get it figured out, i'll post back, but for now I'm not sure what the problem could be.
Thanks.

dan (ddp)

Jul 29, 2016, 8:20:23 AM7/29/16
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Craig <chmit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Dan,
> Yes, my server is running Ubuntu 16.04 with OSSEC 2.9RC2
> I have a Windows 7 2.9RC2 agent installed, registered, and communicating
> with the OSSEC Ubuntu server
> For some reason, though, I can't get it to pull the agent.conf file from the
> server
> I have tried restarting the agent service on the Windows 7 agent multiple
> times, but still get the same:
> 2016/07/26 12:27:54 ossec-agent(1226): ERROR: Error reading XML file
> 'shared/agent.conf': XMLERR: File 'shared/agent.conf' not found. (line 8).
> The ossec-monitord service on the Ubuntu server is running
> If I get it figured out, i'll post back, but for now I'm not sure what the
> problem could be.
> Thanks.

You could try creating merged.mg on the agent. Because it's Windows I
don't know the expected permissions off hand.