DB schema

Kumar Mg

Jul 19, 2016, 1:29:00 PM7/19/16
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have a requirement like increasing the description data type from varchar 255 to higher value. Is it advisable to do this change or we need to limit ourway description field with in 255 char?

CREATE TABLE signature

    (

    id          SERIAL          NOT NULL,

    rule_id     INT8           NOT NULL UNIQUE,

    level       INT4,

    description VARCHAR(255)    NOT NULL,

    PRIMARY KEY (id)

    );

Thanks

Kumar

Kumar G

Jul 20, 2016, 11:05:40 AM7/20/16
to ossec-list
Hi, Is there any harm in increasing the varchar in schema. I expect it should be good to change, but not sure if this is defined anywhere in the source code.

dan (ddp)

Jul 20, 2016, 11:17:32 AM7/20/16
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Kumar G <mkg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Is there any harm in increasing the varchar in schema. I expect it
> should be good to change, but not sure if this is defined anywhere in the
> source code.

The source is open, you can check. You can also make the change in a
testing environment to see if it affects anything.