ossec / alienvault - issues getting application logs to AlienVault

Sam Wallace

Feb 5, 2018, 6:07:21 PM2/5/18
to ossec-list
Currently I'm getting my application logs to my archives.log file, but not my alerts.log file. When I run my event through ossec-logtest they make it through phase 2 with my custom decoder I built and then they also make it through phase 3 with the custom rule I built.

Where do I go from here? Even though it hits a rule, it doesn't get written to my alerts.log. Once I get it to alerts.log how do I go about writing a plugin to capture this event and put it into AlienVault proper.

Thank you!

Grant Leonard

Feb 6, 2018, 8:24:42 AM2/6/18
to ossec-list
You need to make sure the numbers you picked for your new rules exist in a DS group and you have the correct translation statements in your .cfg.local file for the plugin.

Also, to ensure you get a hit with the rule, your level has to be > 0 to be written to alerts.log

You are closing in sir! Note that this is for OSSEC and not Alienvault. I happen to run both and know what you are doing, though this group might not be the best place for Alienvault related questions of OSSEC

All the best

Grant