Rule: 1003 fired (level 13)

Randy Dover

Jun 30, 2014, 10:32:20 AM6/30/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com

I am getting frequent “Rule: 1003 fired) emails:

Received From: (ServerName) ###.###.###.### (ServerIP) ->WinEvtLog
Rule: 1003 fired (level 13) -> "Non standard syslog message (size too large)."
Portion of the log(s):

2014 Jun 30 01:07:29 WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_SUCCESS(4648): Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing: (no user): no domain: ServerName.FQDN: A logon was attempted using explicit credentials. Subject:  Security ID:  S-1-5-18  Account Name:  ServerName$  Account Domain:  DomainName  Logon ID:  0x3e7  Logon GUID:  {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}  Account Whose Credentials Were Used:  Account Name:  DomainAccountName  Account Domain:  FQDN  Logon GUID:  {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}  Target Server:  Target Server Name: MailServerName.FQDN  Additional Information: HTTP/ MailServerName.FQDN  Process Information:  Process ID:  0x688  Process Name:  ProgramPath\ProgramName  Network Information:  Network Address: -  Port:   -  This event is generated when a process attempts to log on an account by explicitly specifying that account’s credentials.  This most commonly occurs in batch-type configurations such as scheduled tasks, or when using the RUNAS command.

I saw this posting and answer:

It can parse the log without problems. This message is generated by this rule:

<rule id="1003" level="13" maxsize="1025">
<description>Non standard syslog message (size too large).</description>
</rule>

So, you can ignore that rule for this specific log you are parsing or
just increase
the size for everyone... Example:

<rule id="100103" level="0">
<description>Ignoring size to large alerts for myapp.</description>
<match>myapp log</match> OR you can use <program_name>myapp</program_name>
</rule>

I looked at the rules I have set up already and they don’t look exactly like the above example, they look more like:

<rule id=’100001’ level=’0’>

    <id>52</id>  (would be 1003 for above issue)

   <description>Ignore ID 52 alerts</description> (would be ID 1003 for above issue)

</rule>

I’ve seen other people saying that they rule that looks like my others does not work. Will it / should it work?

My question is: Given the rule example that was posted:

<match>myapp log</match> OR you can use <program_name>myapp</program_name>

If I put this in as my new rule, what would I put for “my app log”?

Would this work?

<rule id="100103" level="0">
<description>Ignoring size to large alerts for ProgramName.</description>
<program_name>C:\PathName\ProgramName.exe</program_name>
</rule>

For example if it was C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Notepad.exe (yes, I know that’s not the right path, just an example) that was the “offending” executable would I put:

<rule id="100103" level="0">
<description>Ignoring size to large alerts for Notepad.</description>
<program_name>C:\ProgramFiles\Notepad.exe</program_name>
</rule>

Or would I just put:

<rule id="100103" level="0">
<description>Ignoring size to large alerts for Notepad.</description>
<program_name>Notepad.exe</program_name>
</rule>

Thanks in advance,

Randy Dover

This email is intended for its designated recipients. The information, and attachments, contained in this email may be considered private and/or confidential. If the transmission is received in error, delete messages(s) from your system and notify the sender. You may not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose or distribute any part of this email.

Michael Starks

Jun 30, 2014, 10:43:33 AM6/30/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-06-30 8:59, Randy Dover wrote:
> I am getting frequent "Rule: 1003 fired) emails:
>
> Received From: (ServerName) ###.###.###.### (ServerIP) ->WinEvtLog
> Rule: 1003 fired (level 13) -> "Non standard syslog message (size too
> large)."
> Portion of the log(s):

I have tried modifying this rule without success. It's a bug:
https://github.com/ossec/ossec-hids/issues/174

You may have to simple comment it out at the risk of not receiving
notifications for really big messages, but I think getting the rule
that's supposed to match in that situation is better.

Randy Dover

Jul 7, 2014, 11:13:50 AM7/7/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
How should I comment it out?
I edited syslog_rules.xml (in
The way I edited it was:
# <rule id='1003'...
# <description...
# </rule>

So, in essence, I just put a "#" in front of each of the lines.

That didn't work. I'm still getting the emails. And getting a lot of them.

Would it be better if I changed the # to <!-- before and added --> after on the rule?
Is there another file I should be changing other than or in addition to syslog_rules.xml?

Randy Dover
--

---

dan (ddp)

Jul 7, 2014, 11:22:13 AM7/7/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Randy Dover <rdo...@cscbank.com> wrote:
> How should I comment it out?
> I edited syslog_rules.xml (in
> The way I edited it was:
> # <rule id='1003'...
> # <description...
> # </rule>
>
> So, in essence, I just put a "#" in front of each of the lines.
>
> That didn't work. I'm still getting the emails. And getting a lot of them.
>
> Would it be better if I changed the # to <!-- before and added --> after on the rule?

Yes, that would be the correct way to comment out something in that
file. There are examples in most of the rules or decoder files.

Michael Starks

Jul 7, 2014, 11:23:24 AM7/7/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-07-07 10:07, Randy Dover wrote:
> How should I comment it out?
> I edited syslog_rules.xml (in
> The way I edited it was:
> # <rule id='1003'...
> # <description...
> # </rule>
>
> So, in essence, I just put a "#" in front of each of the lines.
>
> That didn't work. I'm still getting the emails. And getting a lot of
> them.

XML comments are like this: <!-- stuff here -->. So, your rule should
look like this:

<!-- rule id="1003" level="13" maxsize="304900">
<description>Non standard syslog message (size too
large).</description>
</rule -->

Keep in mind that this is an exceptional case. Normally, you wouldn't
want to modify rules in any place other than local_rules.xml, as they
will be overwritten on upgrades.

Saurabh Garg

Sep 9, 2016, 4:59:46 AM9/9/16
to ossec-list
Michael,

Were you able to restart OSSEC after editing syslog_rules.xml? did it not fail throwing the below message:
"OSSEC analysisd: Testing rules failed. Configuration error. Exiting."

- Saurabh

dan (ddp)

Sep 9, 2016, 6:28:59 AM9/9/16
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Saurabh Garg <saura...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Were you able to restart OSSEC after editing syslog_rules.xml? did it not
> fail throwing the below message:
> "OSSEC analysisd: Testing rules failed. Configuration error. Exiting."

Looking at /var/ossec/logs/ossec.log or running
`/var/ossec/bin/ossec-logtest -t` might give you a better clue as to
what you did incorrectly.
If you need assistance, please start your own thread and provide details.