Repeated offenders?

Xavier Mertens

May 19, 2016, 2:42:29 AM5/19/16
to ossec-list
Hi *,

I'm trying to implement a new active-response rule for a specific event (1 rule ID).
It must be implement with the <repeated_offenders> tag.

Problem: I've multiple active-response rules matching this event and it seems that OSSEC picks up the wrong one (repeater offenders are not applied).

Any idea to debug this? The rule is:

<active-response>
    <command>firewall-drop-aggressive</command>
    <location>local</location>
    <timeout>600</timeout>
    <rules_id>xxx</rules_id>
    <repeated_offenders>30,60,120,240,480</repeated_offenders>
  </active-response>

/x

Jesus Linares

May 19, 2016, 3:33:26 AM5/19/16
to ossec-list
Hi,

I guess that your command needs an IP, so if your rule xxx doesn't have the field srcip extracted (by the proper decoder) the active-response will not work.

Also, keep in mind that repeated_offenders must be in ossec.conf of every agent (shared/agent.conf or manager/ossec.conf are not valid).

Regards.

Xavier Mertens

May 19, 2016, 4:11:44 AM5/19/16
to ossec-list
Thanks for the tips! I'll test again following your advices...

/x

--

---

Xavier Mertens

May 20, 2016, 2:27:38 AM5/20/16
to ossec-list
Hi Jesus,
It worked much better! Kicking out offenders more and more now :-)
My Google-fu was also better yesterday and I found this blog post:

/x

Jesus Linares

May 20, 2016, 5:07:03 AM5/20/16
to ossec-list, xav...@rootshell.be