Ubuntu Xenial APT installation fails (wrong version requested)

D. Scott Miller

Sep 8, 2017, 11:59:35 AM9/8/17
to ossec-list
I think the apt repository may be out of sync with the actual built packages...when I try to install a clean version of ossec-hids-server, I get the following error messages:

Err:1 https://updates.atomicorp.com/channels/atomic/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 ossec-hids-server amd64 2.9.2-2154xenial
  404  Not Found

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

The repository seems to tell APT to look for version 2.9.2.2154, when the latest one I see on the site (for amd64 machines) is version 2.9.2.2067.

I'll install it manually, but there's a problem to be addressed.

Jeff Dyke

Sep 8, 2017, 12:06:41 PM9/8/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
i was getting this from some servers and not others, but i could wget it (which was likely using a different dns lookup).  Of course the big downside of this is you need to install all of the packages manually b/c dpkg -i {package} will not install dependencies.

FWIW, I only saw this start yesterday, i've been running and updating OSSEC for a few months on new/existing servers.

Just another datapoint, hopefully useful.

--

---

D. Scott Miller

Sep 9, 2017, 7:39:55 AM9/9/17
to ossec-list
Looks like this has been fixed. (I still get the LSB error mentioned in another post--or the bug tracker.)

Thanks to whoever fixed it!