OSSEC-Server Upgrade to 2.7.1 - Missing interface to add new agents

Georg Schönberger

Jan 7, 2014, 3:49:59 PM1/7/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Hi OSSEC Team!

After upgrading my ossec-server to 2.7.1 I have troubles adding new agents. The manage_agents Script doesn't come up with the options to add a new agent:
 ./manage_agents
* OSSEC HIDS v2.7.1 Agent manager.     *
* The following options are available: *
   (I)mport key from the server (I).
   (Q)uit.

To upgrade OSSEC I have taken the following steps:
* Build OSSEC on my build-system
* Tell OSSEC it's a binary installation (echo "USER_BINARYINSTALL=\"y\"" >> etc/preloaded-vars.conf)
* Copy the new installation including the binaries to my OSSEC server
* Call install.sh and check 'y' at the 'Do you want to update question?'

Are there any more steps I have to consider if I am updating the server? Somehow the server doesn't "know" any longer it's the OSSEC server. It seems to behave like an agent.

If I am calling the old 2.7 binaries on the server, I am getting the whole agent interface:
# ./manage_agents
* OSSEC HIDS v2.7 Agent manager.     *
* The following options are available: *
   (A)dd an agent (A).
   (E)xtract key for an agent (E).
   (L)ist already added agents (L).
   (R)emove an agent (R).
   (Q)uit.

But this 2.7 installation was compiled on the server and not a binary installation.
Do I have to consider any problems If I am adding a new agent with the 2.7 binaries to the new 2.7.1 installation?

Thanks a lot for your effort in advance!

Georg

dan (ddp)

Jan 7, 2014, 6:30:59 PM1/7/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 7, 2014 6:19 PM, "Georg Schönberger" <fromsc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi OSSEC Team!
>
> After upgrading my ossec-server to 2.7.1 I have troubles adding new agents. The manage_agents Script doesn't come up with the options to add a new agent:
>  ./manage_agents
> * OSSEC HIDS v2.7.1 Agent manager.     *
> * The following options are available: *
>    (I)mport key from the server (I).
>    (Q)uit.

Yes, you have definitely installed the agent version. You could try `make server` in the src directory to make the server versions of the binaries.

> To upgrade OSSEC I have taken the following steps:
> * Build OSSEC on my build-system
> * Tell OSSEC it's a binary installation (echo "USER_BINARYINSTALL=\"y\"" >> etc/preloaded-vars.conf)
> * Copy the new installation including the binaries to my OSSEC server
> * Call install.sh and check 'y' at the 'Do you want to update question?'
>
> Are there any more steps I have to consider if I am updating the server? Somehow the server doesn't "know" any longer it's the OSSEC server. It seems to behave like an agent.
>
> If I am calling the old 2.7 binaries on the server, I am getting the whole agent interface:
> # ./manage_agents
> * OSSEC HIDS v2.7 Agent manager.     *
> * The following options are available: *
>    (A)dd an agent (A).
>    (E)xtract key for an agent (E).
>    (L)ist already added agents (L).
>    (R)emove an agent (R).
>    (Q)uit.
> But this 2.7 installation was compiled on the server and not a binary installation.
> Do I have to consider any problems If I am adding a new agent with the 2.7 binaries to the new 2.7.1 installation?
>
> Thanks a lot for your effort in advance!
>
> Georg
>

> --
>
> ---

Georg Schönberger

Jan 8, 2014, 5:17:33 AM1/8/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, 8. Januar 2014 00:30:59 UTC+1 schrieb dan (ddpbsd):

On Jan 7, 2014 6:19 PM, "Georg Schönberger" <fromsc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi OSSEC Team!
>
> After upgrading my ossec-server to 2.7.1 I have troubles adding new agents. The manage_agents Script doesn't come up with the options to add a new agent:
>  ./manage_agents
> * OSSEC HIDS v2.7.1 Agent manager.     *
> * The following options are available: *
>    (I)mport key from the server (I).
>    (Q)uit.

Yes, you have definitely installed the agent version. You could try `make server` in the src directory to make the server versions of the binaries.

On my build server I could not call 'make server' as it is not the target system to install OSSEC. I have now skipped the 'make setagent' step I had included in my build steps. To sum up I did:
* make clean
* make all
* make build
* echo "USER_BINARYINSTALL=\"y\"" >> etc/preloaded-vars.conf
* Copy the OSSEC directory to the target system
* Call install.sh and updated OSSEC

Thanks for you help!

dan (ddp)

Jan 8, 2014, 9:29:25 AM1/8/14
to ossec...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Georg Schönberger
<fromsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 8. Januar 2014 00:30:59 UTC+1 schrieb dan (ddpbsd):
>>

>> On Jan 7, 2014 6:19 PM, "Georg Schönberger" <fromsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi OSSEC Team!
>> >
>> > After upgrading my ossec-server to 2.7.1 I have troubles adding new
>> > agents. The manage_agents Script doesn't come up with the options to add a
>> > new agent:
>> > ./manage_agents
>> > ****************************************
>> > * OSSEC HIDS v2.7.1 Agent manager. *
>> > * The following options are available: *
>> > ****************************************
>> > (I)mport key from the server (I).
>> > (Q)uit.
>> >

>> Yes, you have definitely installed the agent version. You could try `make
>> server` in the src directory to make the server versions of the binaries.
>
> On my build server I could not call 'make server' as it is not the target
> system to install OSSEC. I have now skipped the 'make setagent' step I had

Seems like an obvious step. Glad it worked.

Herman Harperink

Jul 22, 2016, 1:38:06 PM7/22/16
to ossec-list
Thanks from Germany too, 2 years later :-) I ran into the same problem today but got it fixed thanks to this thread.