OSSEC watching SQL

Mike Hammett

Jan 8, 2017, 8:19:34 AM1/8/17
to ossec-list
My current centralized logging environment stores syslog in MySQL. Can OSSEC watch a SQL database instead of a file?

dan (ddp)

Jan 8, 2017, 8:56:22 AM1/8/17
to ossec...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 8, 2017 8:19 AM, "Mike Hammett" <ics.mh...@gmail.com> wrote:
My current centralized logging environment stores syslog in MySQL. Can OSSEC watch a SQL database instead of a file?

Not at this time

--

---

Kat

Jan 24, 2017, 1:04:26 PM1/24/17
to ossec-list
Sort of.
One of the things I did with OSSEC and mySQL - as i had critical tables that I wanted to know when they were being accessed, was to create a mySQL trigger that would write a logfile entry anytime the table was access with all the information needed. OSSEC of course picked this up and alerted me.

And they have a good example showing an . "Employees" table that they want to keep track of. It is not that hard, and performance hit is negligible.  Obviously if you tried to do a trigger on each insert for the entire database, that would kill it, but . you can do a lot of creative things with OSSEC.

Cheers
Kat