August 2015: Beta testing for Live map Updates in OsmAnd nightlies (Dev plugin)

Stephan75

Aug 5, 2015, 12:01:22 PM8/5/15
to Osmand
I stumpled upon this osmand-own tweet:

Seems thet we have a new feature for incremental map updates?

Due to issues with my device I cannot test on my own,

but anybody else activating this feature, and do a report here?

PS: I have not seen any appearance of this feature on the github repo or from any othet Osmand developer channel.
Will there be a bit more information for beta testing users?

Stephan

Mirco Zorzo

Aug 5, 2015, 1:39:43 PM8/5/15
to Osmand
Feature activated but nothing is happening with the last nightly build.

By, Mirco

Stephan75

Aug 7, 2015, 8:19:48 AM8/7/15
to Osmand
So I think there is a new feature in Maps Management screen:

have a recent nighlty build installed, e.g. osmand_nightly.apk

be sure to have latest online map file already updates via long time established update mechanism on Osmand.

Have the Live Update feature activates in Osmand-> plugins -> Debugging

Go to Settings -> Map Management

choose the first tab there to see all the maps and data that is local on your device.

choose three dots at the entry for a downloaded offline map, then press "Live updates" there.

Maybe a toast message comes up whether an update is available or not, some stuff seesm to be loaded.

Choose the very right tab where all available map updates are listed,

see that there is a hint about available updates to be downloaded.

Press that button on the bottom of the screen ... and see that some stuff is loaded again.

Success by anybody ??????????????

And where can I see afterwards how recent my map is? Any new files?

Stephan

Max

Aug 7, 2015, 9:31:02 AM8/7/15
to Osmand

Success by anybody ??????????????

Yes, I followed your steps and now some buildings and ways which where added yesterday are now visible on the map.

And where can I see afterwards how recent my map is?

I was not able to find this information.

Any new files?

Yes, some new obf files in a folder called "live".

Regards,
Max

Stephan75

Aug 7, 2015, 4:11:07 PM8/7/15
to Osmand
Indeed ... I also see the live folder on sd card.

Lets see whether those files remain there when downloading a new whole offline map file.

Some information in general from the developers would be really nice. So we can do better beta testing.

Stephan

Stephan75

Aug 26, 2015, 12:56:10 PM8/26/15
to Osmand
So we have a first victim when using live update data:

Turn restrictions with restriction=only_straight_on inside OSM data have no effect in Osmand when having downloaded additional live update map data for that region.

I really would appreciate when some of the core developers could give more information about the technical bachground of Osmand's live update features ...

Stephan

Paul Johnson

Jan 26, 2016, 6:42:02 AM1/26/16
to Osmand

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 11:01:22 AM UTC-5, Stephan75 wrote:
I stumpled upon this osmand-own tweet:

Seems thet we have a new feature for incremental map updates?

Neat!  Does this do it on it's own or do you have to poke it manually every time?

Mirco Zorzo

Jan 26, 2016, 9:46:25 AM1/26/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Automatically

Paul Johnson

Jan 26, 2016, 9:49:03 AM1/26/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Alright, so totally do it once then forget type thing and it just checks automagically without any further interaction?

Jack Burke

Jan 28, 2016, 10:22:12 AM1/28/16
to Osmand
I think it is supposed to happen automatically, but that doesn't always seem to happen.

In the latest nightly build, it looks like they have added a subscription function to the live updates feature. Now you have to provide a bitcoin account to pay with monthly.

-jack

Martin Simon

Jan 30, 2016, 6:23:34 AM1/30/16
to Osmand
I have live updating enabled for a few regions since December. It seems to work, but only single point objects seem to get updated, as far as I can tell from my own osm edits(for example added opening hours on existing nodes or new nodes for shops etc).

Paul Johnson

Feb 2, 2016, 4:08:23 AM2/2/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Seems to be getting routable map objects as well.