Map correction

Antti 0109

Jun 9, 2020, 8:07:18 AM6/9/20
to OsmAnd
Hello everybody.
How can I make a repair the map when i drive car?
Speed ​​limit sign etc..

Xavier

Jun 9, 2020, 8:25:49 AM6/9/20
to OsmAnd
On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 05:07:18AM -0700, Antti 0109 wrote:
>Hello everybody.
>How can I make a repair the map when i drive car?
>Speed ??????limit sign etc..

By editing OpenStreetMap (https://www.openstreetmap.org/).

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q7ypL0Osqc

Note, unless you are a passenger, please do not try to edit while
driving.

Antti 0109

Jun 9, 2020, 8:51:22 AM6/9/20
to OsmAnd
OSM program only, not OsmAnd?
Can i make tag and fix when stopping?

Bob Gambrel

Jun 9, 2020, 9:06:13 AM6/9/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
What I do, when am passenger:

1) I use OSMAND on an Android tablet (a phone would work too, but screen is small)
2) When I see a problem or something I want to map, I place a NOTE on the OSMAND map
3) When I am on a PC at home, after the driving, I do OSM editing as recommended by others. I do this by looking at my NOTEs for the information that guides me as to what to edit.

I normally do not upload the notes into OSM. I just keep them as local notes in OSMAND. When I am done editing based on a NOTE, I delete the NOTE. My notes are usually cryptic, but understandable to me (just me). Like:

55   55mph speed limit
ash   asphalt pavement
conc   concrete pavement
br  bridge
culv  culvert (tunnel)

etc

If I am driving, not a passenger, all I do is turn on tracing in OSMAND, then using it as a guide (my track), I just  try to remember what I saw and update the map from memory. Very poor approach but better than nothing.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:51 AM Antti 0109 <antt...@gmail.com> wrote:
OSM program only, not OsmAnd?
Can i make tag and fix when stopping?

Xavier

Jun 9, 2020, 9:18:41 AM6/9/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 08:05:54AM -0500, Bob Gambrel wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:51 AM Antti 0109 <antt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OSM program only, not OsmAnd?
>> Can i make tag and fix when stopping?
>>
>If I am driving, not a passenger, all I do is turn on tracing in
>OSMAND, then using it as a guide (my track), I just try to remember
>what I saw and update the map from memory. Very poor approach but
>better than nothing.

For better /memory/ while driving, you can record photos of your trip
using OpenStreetCam (https://openstreetcam.org/) then upload the photos
afterward. Then you can access the images as georeferenced photos
within the major editors (iD or JOSM) to use to edit the map and add
missing details (both from the photos and your memory).

Xavier

Jun 9, 2020, 9:25:20 AM6/9/20
to OsmAnd
On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 05:51:22AM -0700, Antti 0109 wrote:
>OSM program only, not OsmAnd?
>Can i make tag and fix when stopping?

OSMAnd is a navigation app. Its primary function is navigating.

It does allow some editing, and potentially you could perform those
edits that OSMAnd supports while stopped. But as OSM data editing will
always be a secondary function for OSMAnd, the apps that are directed
specifically towards OSM editing will always provide a superior overall
editing experience.

If you want to edit on a mobile device (Android) you can make use of
Vespucci (https://vespucci.io/) to do so. It will allow you to make
OSM edits that are impossible to perform via OSMAnd alone.

Stefan Monnier

Jun 9, 2020, 9:47:44 AM6/9/20
to Bob Gambrel, osm...@googlegroups.com
> If I am driving, not a passenger, all I do is turn on tracing in OSMAND,
> then using it as a guide (my track), I just try to remember what I saw and
> update the map from memory. Very poor approach but better than nothing.

Audio notes would be useful in such settings. I'm imagining a system
where you press a button and it will record incoming audio from the
microphone for the next 5s, then stored as a geolocated note.

Stefan

Greg Troxel

Jun 9, 2020, 9:54:41 AM6/9/20
to Stefan Monnier, Bob Gambrel, osm...@googlegroups.com
osmand can do this, but it requires dealing with a touchscreen. I am
guessing you mean an actual physical button, that one could safely push
while driving. (And legally push; at least in my state a driver may not
interact with a touchscreen.)

Stefan Monnier

Jun 9, 2020, 10:09:26 AM6/9/20
to Greg Troxel, osm...@googlegroups.com, Bob Gambrel
>> Audio notes would be useful in such settings. I'm imagining a system
>> where you press a button and it will record incoming audio from the
>> microphone for the next 5s, then stored as a geolocated note.
> osmand can do this, but it requires dealing with a touchscreen. I am
> guessing you mean an actual physical button, that one could safely push
> while driving. (And legally push; at least in my state a driver may not
> interact with a touchscreen.)

I was thinking either with a dedicated button somewhere near the
steering wheel, or otherwise on the touchscreen which you'd use at the
next stop (useless on the highway but useful in urban areas).

The "next stop" case would likely benefit from having osmand always
remember the last minute of geolocation so it can attach a piece of
tracking info to the note.

Instead of a button, I guess in theory osmand could try and recognize
a tell-tale sound, like you saying "Hey, Osmand" (in my case I'd
prefer an actual sound rather than words, like "clicking" my tongue or
snapping my finger), but I'm not sure how easy it would be to make it
work well (without too many false positives, without too many false
negatives, and without consuming too much energy).

Stefan

Everton Hermann

Jun 9, 2020, 10:13:22 AM6/9/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Greg Troxel, Bob Gambrel
Hello,
If you know beforehand what you are going to track you can add a quick action for it. I did so to add water fountains and picnic tables while on a bike trip, but it's useful only for adding new simple POI.

Being able to customize the action of media buttons would be a nice feature too. I'm thinking about using it while bike riding too, using the headset buttons to lock and unlock the screen for instance.

Antti 0109

Jun 9, 2020, 10:47:11 AM6/9/20
to OsmAnd
How did you do this?

Everton Hermann

Jun 9, 2020, 11:06:46 AM6/9/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
You are talking about the quick action?
You can go to configure screen, quick action, and you can add an action to add an specific PO.

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 16:47, Antti 0109 <antt...@gmail.com> wrote:
How did you do this?

Message has been deleted