OffRoad: A desktop port of OsmAnd

ChrisFromFreeMind

May 18, 2016, 11:53:50 AM5/18/16
to Osmand
Dear all,

recently, I've started to port OsmAnd to the desktop.

The result is available at https://sourceforge.net/p/offroadosm/wiki/Home/

Questions:
* Currently, I use the download method for maps from OsmAnd and thus from OsmAnd' servers. Is that OK for you, or should I sync the maps to SourceForge and download them from there?
* Are there more legal things to obey?

Best regards,

Chris

Zian Choy

May 19, 2016, 9:21:16 PM5/19/16
to Osmand
Thank you for making the maps available on the desktop.

Sincerely,
Zian Choy

yvecai

May 20, 2016, 2:18:25 PM5/20/16
to Osmand
oh! Will try ASAP!

Paul S

May 21, 2016, 7:53:27 AM5/21/16
to Osmand
Nice Job Chris :) Thank you it is working well.
- Is it possible to load in poi's / gpx file? I have created a favorite but I'm not sure where it is being stored.

Paul

ChrisFromFreeMind

May 22, 2016, 4:48:27 AM5/22/16
to Osmand
Dear Paul,

favorites are stored in your home folder/.OffRoad/favorites.gpx.
To load gpx files is on my list. Keep tuned.
BR, Chris

ChrisFromFreeMind

May 22, 2016, 4:49:12 AM5/22/16
to Osmand
For discussions about OffRoad I would recommend its forum:

https://sourceforge.net/p/offroadosm/discussion/general/

TIA, Chris

Paul S

May 22, 2016, 6:11:59 PM5/22/16
to Osmand
Thanks Chris that's helpful. I'm looking forward to more development :)
Meanwhile I will check out the discussion at https://sourceforge.net/p/offroadosm/discussion/general/

ChrisFromFreeMind

May 31, 2016, 12:06:05 AM5/31/16
to Osmand
Hi,

there is a new version available at sourceforge, soon.

BR, Chris

ChrisFromFreeMind

May 31, 2016, 12:17:29 AM5/31/16
to Osmand
OK, soon meens now.

john whelan

May 31, 2016, 6:28:23 AM5/31/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately Sourceforge ownership has changed and now packages up odd things in its downloads that get installed at the same time.

Cheerio John

poutnik

May 31, 2016, 6:32:36 AM5/31/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com
But that started to happen long before the recent change of ownership, didn't it?
The owners announced they want to eliminate this evil bundling practice of the old owners.

31. května 2016 12:28:21 CEST, john whelan <jwhel...@gmail.com> napsal:

--
Sent from my phone via Android email client K-9.
Please, forgive my brevity.

ChrisFromFreeMind

May 31, 2016, 4:47:47 PM5/31/16
to Osmand
Hi John,

this is no longer true, and was never true for the software I distribute there (FreeMind and OffRoad).

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 11, 2016, 5:05:11 PM6/11/16
to Osmand
Hi,

new version 0.1 Beta1 is available. Now with windows installers.

Hope, you like it, Chris

Bas G. Roufs

Jun 11, 2016, 6:28:03 PM6/11/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com, ChrisFromFreeMind

Hello Chris & Everybody.

> OffRoad: A desktop port of OsmAnd

> new version 0.1 Beta1 is available. Now with windows installers.

This sounds interesting.

Is there also a repository or variant for recent versions of *Ubuntu?

Yours.

Bas G. Roufs, Utrecht, NL.

--

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, EU.

E.: BasR...@gmail.com; M./SMS: +31 6 446 835 10.

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 11, 2016, 11:54:24 PM6/11/16
to Osmand, christia...@gmx.de, BasR...@gmail.com
Hi,

currently, there is only the ZIP variant for all OS. Perhaps, somebody can create a debian package?

BR, Chris

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 12, 2016, 7:19:15 AM6/12/16
to Osmand, christia...@gmx.de, BasR...@gmail.com
Hi,

ok, I created a rudimentary debian package. It is available within the file section. Can you do me a favor to test it and report the result of
sudo dpkg -i <package>

please?

BR, Chris

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 12, 2016, 9:58:01 AM6/12/16
to osmand
I like it a lot. I just tried the 0.1 Beta1 on GalliumOS 2.0Beta (Xubuntu like derivative for Chromebooks).
The maps look great on a 13.3" 1920x1080 screen.

Routing is not yet optimal as it doesn't want to use ferries even though I want it to do so, but OSRM does use it. But maybe that has to do with speed penalties for routing in OsmAnd w.r.t. ferries.

Searching requires some getting used too and currently it is only possible to search on cities. The smaller villages, hamlets and so on are not available or I do not see how to do that.

The 2-finger zooming in/out on my keypad is taking huge steps with only small movements
(To others: don't forget to download the world base map or you are looking at a white screen and think you found a bug :) ).

Will it be possible in a later version to choose the download location? Currently it is going to /home/<user>/.OffRoad. That is fine normally but on a Chromebook I prefer to store it on my 64GB ext4 formatted SD-card. I currently do that by using a symbolic link. I can work around it but it might be a nice fature to be able to store them where you want them (and many users are not familiar with the concept of hidden folders).

But it still is a nice way to plan routes on a big screen high-resolution screen.

Thanks for your desktop port.

Harry

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 12, 2016, 10:12:01 AM6/12/16
to osmand

ok, I created a rudimentary debian package. It is available within the file section. Can you do me a favor to test it and report the result of
sudo dpkg -i <package>

please?

BR, Chris

I downloaded your zip, did some outdoor things, tested it, replied and found your dpkg mail.

The deb works fine, but I had already java 8 on my system so that dependency was fullfilled. As I have a lot of other java related stuff on my chromebook I will not yet remove it to try the full extend of the dependency checking of the package.

I'm almost sure you put in a little extra as the road shields are now big yellow, green, red and white rectangles showing the road numbers, but they are so big that they obscure details especially where you want to see them when roads split/diverge/converge etc.

Harry

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 12, 2016, 2:54:44 PM6/12/16
to Osmand

Bas G. Roufs

Jun 12, 2016, 5:14:45 PM6/12/16
to osmand

Hello Everybody.

> ok, I created a rudimentary debian package. It is available within the file

> section. Can you do me a favor to test it and report the result of sudo

> dpkg -i <package>

Test result at Kubuntu 14.04 LTS: none. I do not manage to find 'OffRoad' - not at least in the normal repo. Not via sudo dpkg, also not via sudo apt-get install.

Yours.

Bas.

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 12, 2016, 11:28:12 PM6/12/16
to Osmand, BasR...@gmail.com
Hi, yes, the package is not in the repos, yet. You can download it from sf.net. HTH, Chris

Bas G. Roufs

Jun 13, 2016, 5:45:09 PM6/13/16
to ChrisFromFreeMind, Osmand

TEST REPORT - FAILED ATTEMPT TO INSTALL OFFROAD.

System: Kubuntu 14.04 LTS.

bas@Viaconsensus-camino:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i OffRoad.deb

Selecting previously unselected package offroad.

(Reading database ... 296190 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack OffRoad.deb ...

Unpacking offroad (0.1-Beta1) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of offroad:

offroad depends on openjdk-8-jre; however:

Package openjdk-8-jre is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package offroad (--install):

Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...

Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...

offroad

bas@Viaconsensus-camino:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Package openjdk-8-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.

is only available from another source

E: Package 'openjdk-8-jre' has no installation candidate

--

Bas G. Roufs

Utrecht, NL, EU.

E.: BasR...@gmail.com, M./SMS: +31 6 446 835 10.

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 14, 2016, 3:57:10 AM6/14/16
to osmand
This has to do with your (older) version 14.04and not with the deb package as such. Chris clearly stated that you need a java 8 version.
You are running 2 LTS versions behind even though Trusty is still supported for a couple of years.

Harry

Lee Davis

Jun 15, 2016, 5:50:06 PM6/15/16
to Osmand
Chris, Offroad is the 1st program I've used that is able to create a multi-waypoint GPX file that doesn't crash Osmand+ on my Nexus 7 while navigating the route.  Great job and please continue to flesh out GPX handling.

Egal

Jun 18, 2016, 4:24:11 PM6/18/16
to Osmand
Hi,

uses OffRoad the same file format and the same directory structure as OSMand does ?
Is there an easy way to transfer the map files from PC to OSMand on my phone and vice versa ?

In this cases I would like to manage the maps and other files on my PC and transfer only the files which are just needed to OSMand. So I have to download the maps from the OSMand server only one time

Best regards
- Egal -

Richard Z.

Jun 19, 2016, 6:02:01 AM6/19/16
to osm...@googlegroups.com
this would be indeed nice, I do mirror the osmand directory on my main
computer.
So far you can use file links.

Richard

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 20, 2016, 10:48:17 AM6/20/16
to Osmand
Hi,

in fact, it does use the same structure. A sync should be pretty ok.

BR, Chris

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 21, 2016, 12:50:10 AM6/21/16
to Osmand

Lee Davis

Jun 23, 2016, 10:19:24 AM6/23/16
to Osmand
I looked at the GPX file exported by Offroad when I make a multi-point route and see it automatically includes track points, waypoints  and route points plus additional route points to the ones I created myself on the map.   I only want the route points I created - others may want many track points.  When you get around to it, I believe those choices should be user configurable options.

jweva...@xs4all.nl

Jun 25, 2016, 2:56:34 PM6/25/16
to Osmand
I installed OffRoad "offroad_0.1-Beta2_all.deb" on Dell XPS13 Ubuntu 16.04 with openjdk-9-jre. Works out of the box.
For now two points: 1) road numbers are huge, can I change that in the xlm or is that hard coded and 2) ctrl-+ does not zoom (two finger touch pad works fine).
Thanks for making OffRoad, cheers, janwillem
P.S.
Normal words like offroad can give a lot of irrelevant results in google.

Egal

Jun 25, 2016, 3:37:36 PM6/25/16
to Osmand
@ChrisFromFreeMind:
1. It would be better, when you use for the map downloads the original download link which uses OSMand. Why ? The maps there are more actual and there are more other files to download (e.g. hillshade files and SRTM files) which are missing at the download server you're using now.
2. Every time, when I start OffRoad, Windows asks me if I do accept changes in my system, which OffRoad will do. This is very annoying. And when I start the program as standard user (not as admin) I have also to enter the admin password. This is very, very annoying.

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 26, 2016, 1:02:49 AM6/26/16
to Osmand
Hi,

in fact, OffRoad uses the OsmAnd server (I still didn't got an answer, whether or not this is ok). Only the downloads, that don't make sense (like hillshade, as they are not implemented) are hidden.
ad 2: which version of windows do you use? Can you start OffRoad by using the OffRoad.bat file, please? Is it happening as well? Sorry, I don't use Windows, so I depend on your responses.

BR, Chris

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 26, 2016, 1:15:31 AM6/26/16
to Osmand
Hi,

can you send me a screenshot of the road numbers, please. I struggle with the for a longer time... By the way, there is a HiDpi option. When you start the application with

java -DHIDPI=true -Xmx1024M -jar dist/OffRoad.jar

then some elements are scaled (like the menu).

ad 2: strange, for me, it is working. Can you try to hide the search by (F11) and do it again, please?

BR, Chris

Janwillem

Jun 26, 2016, 4:47:52 AM6/26/16
to Osmand
Hi,
The screenshot is attached.

Both issues occur on my Ubuntu 16.04 instalation and on my Windows 10 under VirtualBox install.
The Linux java is:
openjdk version "1.8.0_91"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-8u91-b14-0ubuntu4~16.04.1-b14)

The Windows java is:
java version "1.8.0_92"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.92-b14, mixed mode)

On neither system does -DHIDPI=true make a perceptable difference.

I also have a desktop with Ubuntu 16.04 but there install did not go without hick-ups. The .deb install did not make the ~/.offroad folder and config files. After copying these from the laptop I still get an error when starting:
me@me-desktop:/usr/share/offroad$ java -jar OffRoad.jar
Read file /home/me/.OffRoad/offroad.priv.properties and put as offroad
Read file /home/me/.OffRoad/net.osmand.settings.bicycle.priv.properties and put as net.osmand.settings.bicycle
Read file /home/me/.OffRoad/net.osmand.settings.pedestrian.priv.properties and put as net.osmand.settings.pedestrian
Read file /home/me/.OffRoad/net.osmand.settings.car.priv.properties and put as net.osmand.settings.car
Read file /home/me/.OffRoad/net.osmand.settings.default.priv.properties and put as net.osmand.settings.default
ERROR: Resource not found: res/values-us/strings.xml
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader (in module: java.base) cannot be cast to java.net.URLClassLoader (in module: java.base)
at net.sourceforge.offroad.OsmWindow.printClassPath(OsmWindow.java:904)
at net.sourceforge.offroad.OsmWindow.getResource(OsmWindow.java:921)
at net.sourceforge.offroad.OsmWindow.loadStrings(OsmWindow.java:812)
at net.sourceforge.offroad.OsmWindow.initStrings(OsmWindow.java:778)
at net.sourceforge.offroad.OsmWindow.<init>(OsmWindow.java:730)
at net.sourceforge.offroad.OsmWindow.getInstance(OsmWindow.java:989)
at net.sourceforge.offroad.OsmWindow.main(OsmWindow.java:706)
So I cannot check the ctrl+ issue on different hardware. As far as I could find the ctrl+ combination is not assigned to anything else on my system.

Hope this helps, cheers, Janwillem
Screenshot from 2016-06-26 10-33-22.png

Egal

Jun 26, 2016, 8:03:46 AM6/26/16
to Osmand
ad 1. I think you don't use the same download link, as the OSMand app uses. I think you're using http://download.osmand.net/rawindexes/ . This is a link which has in most cases older maps (about 1 month older) than the link OSMand app uses. I don't know the real link OSMand uses, because it is not visible in OSMand.
It would be good to offer also the files, which are actually not implemented in OffRoad, because I want to download all OSMand implemented files via OffRoad in Windows and transfer them to OSMand on my phone. On my phone I have a small download flat, but on my Windows PC I have an unlimited download flat. Additionally it could be, that you will implement these files later, so hidding them makes no sense.

ad 2. Starting OffRoad with its .bat file is much better. It opens a MSDOS window in which appears many messages with some error messages and starts OffRoad  without the annoying dialog. But the previous with OffRoad downloaded map files are no longer available, because it uses now another directory to store them. Start with .exe: stored in admin directory; start with .bat: stored in user directory. But the .bat link icon has not the OffRoad symbol, but this doesn't matter.

I'm using Windows 7.

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 26, 2016, 10:02:14 AM6/26/16
to osmand

ad 1. I think you don't use the same download link, as the OSMand app uses. I think you're using http://download.osmand.net/rawindexes/ . This is a link which has in most cases older maps (about 1 month older) than the link OSMand app uses. I don't know the real link OSMand uses, because it is not visible in OSMand.

No.This is not correct. The rawindexes ispart of several servers all hosting the latest files. The only issue is that the syncing between the several servers is not always correct. This has been mentioned several times over the past years. It may be that "your server" is not entirely up-to-date and "mine" is.
Also OsmAnd  uses the same servers, be it not with a masking php script but directly.

Next to that: Chris mentioned that he simply ported Offroad. Why would he change the download functionality in the first place?
It would mean more work and possible rework in case inside OsmAnd "something" would change like a couple of months ago with the roads-only maps.

Harry

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jun 27, 2016, 3:08:08 PM6/27/16
to Osmand
Hi,

thanks for the support. The boxes have the same size. It is a problem changing from little smartphone to bigger desktop screens. I changed the exception during start (it is a java9 issue) and added logging for the HIDPI issue in git, so it will be in the next release. I tested it with java8. Maybe there are issues with java9.

BR, Chris

ChrisFromFreeMind

Jul 3, 2016, 4:29:16 PM7/3/16
to Osmand
Hi,

currently, I'm publishing a new release OffRoad 0.1-Beta3 that has an view-option to choose the icon size. The road-numbers are part of that size.
Moreover, there is a log entry, if HIDPI was actually understood. So, please try again.

Have fun, Chris

ChrisFromFreeMind

Aug 2, 2016, 2:19:34 PM8/2/16
to Osmand
Hi,

recently, I published OffRoad 0.1-Beta4 which includes the possibility to download relief data. Then, contour lines will appear. I hope that this helps all hikers and outdoor activists being in holiday like me.
Moreover, a quick search method (ctrl+shift+f) was included to find items in the map currently being displayed. This is very handy, as it includes fuzzy searches. It can be used, if you know that a certain object is on the map, but you don't find it directly.

Have fun,

Chris

Guy Salmon

Sep 27, 2016, 9:09:54 AM9/27/16
to Osmand

Hi all, This is the first time I've posted on a google group so bear with me if i've replied in a  daft way..

I am looking for an application to allow me to take offline Satellite images/maps with me on overland trips. I've kind of found my solution with Osmand+ on android, by rooting my tablet and using an NTFS app that allows me to mount a large USB hard drive into the Osmand folder, using microsoft earth images.

I just wondered if Offroad would be offering support for microsoft earth tiles?

Thanks,

Guy

Stefan Monnier

Sep 27, 2016, 10:39:36 AM9/27/16
to Guy Salmon, Osmand
> I am looking for an application to allow me to take offline Satellite
> images/maps with me on overland trips.

FWIW, FoxtrotGPS can be used this way (you select the area you want to
download, and the depth (i.e. number of levels), then ask for it to
download the tiles).

Stefan