Name for hiking routes in Slovakia

m.sa...@o2.pl

Aug 20, 2017, 11:33:58 PM8/20/17
to Openstreetmap Slovakia
I am fixing hiking routes to be properly indexed by OSMC Reitkarte. According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMC_Reitkarte#How_a_marked_route_has_to_look_like.3F each route need to have value either for name or osmc:name.

Outside of Slovakia, routes that do not have official name, usually are tagged with starting and ending point as name.

In Slovakia, I found that such routes are not tagged with name, instead value is set for description tag. This is common practice and also guideline on page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Slovakia/Hiking_routes#Routes

What is your opinion - in Slovakia, would it be okay to put starting and ending point as value for name? Otherwise, if it is preferred to put only official names as name, I would like to propose to add recommendation to fill value for osmc:name.

Martin Ždila

Aug 21, 2017, 5:37:58 AM8/21/17
to osm_sk
Hello,

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:22 PM, <m.sa...@o2.pl> wrote:
I am fixing hiking routes to be properly indexed by OSMC Reitkarte. According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMC_Reitkarte#How_a_marked_route_has_to_look_like.3F each route need to have value either for name or osmc:name.

This is pretty strict requirement.

In Slovakia only some routes have a name. These are mostly educational or local routes. Other routes have no name and so there should be no name tag at all. For describing start and end point we use tag description.

Tag osmc:name is not much mentioned at wiki.osm.org. The key description page doesn't exist.

Outside of Slovakia, routes that do not have official name, usually are tagged with starting and ending point as name.

In Slovakia, I found that such routes are not tagged with name, instead value is set for description tag. This is common practice and also guideline on page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Slovakia/Hiking_routes#Routes

What is your opinion - in Slovakia, would it be okay to put starting and ending point as value for name?

No, it would not be OK. Semantics of name tag is different (and not only in Slovakia).

Otherwise, if it is preferred to put only official names as name, I would like to propose to add recommendation to fill value for osmc:name.

I have no clear opinion about osmc:name. If you fill it then nobody will ensure that other mappers will use it (properly) as it is undocumented.

Generally I think that a software which needs to name every hiking trail should derive it using:
- name tag if exists
- guideposts it contains (we put them to route relations)
- geoname of the area where the route is
- description tag (if exists)
- osmc:name (once standardized)

BR

kylezyg...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2017, 4:22:06 PM10/1/17
to Openstreetmap Slovakia
Also in Germany there are many small hiking trails without names. I then assign meaningful names. It helps in orientation.

The relevant hiking association should be contacted. Naming is actually standard.

Tagging with starting and ending point as name is betten than nothing.

Martin Ždila

Oct 3, 2017, 4:48:05 AM10/3/17
to osm_sk
I then assign meaningful names. It helps in orientation.

So you are basically adding made-up names. I consider it not a very good thing if you are adding this to name tag.

The relevant hiking association should be contacted. Naming is actually standard.

Maybe in your country, but definitively not world-wide. In Slovakia almost all hiking routes are operated by an organization called KST. Then assign numeric-like ref to every hiking trail but name only very few of them. Other have no name at all.

Tagging with starting and ending point as name is betten than nothing.

I proposed some solutions in my previous e-mail. Eg. use description tag.