blockchain

National Science Communication Institute

Jun 15, 2017, 11:22:54 AM6/15/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

Any techies on this list who can comment on whether blockchain technology is something we should be talking about here? I’m a neophyte on this, but blockchain is the technology behind bitcoin. At the risk of mangling the truth, it’s a new kind of internet model that allows information to be linked together in such a way that you can always track the provenance of ideas/papers/whatever. Changes get “approved” by the community, everyone gets access to information without infomediaries, etc. It’s been billed as a pretty disruptive technology---one that’s still really in search of ways to use it. I’m wondering if academic publishing might be one such way---if the day will come when a researcher can share work via blockchain, and then this distributed system basically sorts out the rest---provenance, version of record, categorization, archiving, review, changes, access, etc. We’ve spoken before here about an All-Scholarship Repository to this approach, which I still like---a single repository of global scientific information with thousands of different entry and exit points (customized by institution, country, publisher, etc.---some free, some not depending on value added). The blockchain approach flattens out the entire information ecosystem (in theory). This isn’t to say that publishers won’t exist in this system---quite the opposite in fact: More information and more uncertainty about facts makes the need for publishers all the more important. But this technology might do an end-run around a lot of the systems we currently use and solve a lot of the access problems as well.

I have no idea if this is an accurate interpretation or just a lot of misinformation. Bryan? Jake? Lorena? Patrick? You guys all live and breathe technology. Do you think this something we should have our eye on?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
National Science Communication Institute (nSCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

image001.jpg

Christopher Erdmann

Jun 15, 2017, 2:52:33 PM6/15/17
to osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Hi Glenn,

You might find this recent article by Lambert Heller useful:

--
Christopher Erdmann, Chief Strategist for Research Collaboration
NCSU Libraries | https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Fiore, Steve

Jun 15, 2017, 3:18:51 PM6/15/17
to National Science Communication Institute, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Yes. Definitely.  Last year, a colleague suggested something like this in the context of open data and data sharing.  I thought it was brilliant, but I'm not a tech type either.  Here is the article he shared, written by those who are tech types, who lay out a plan/vision for this.

Best,

Steve

Could Blockchain provide the technical fix to solve science’s reproducibility crisis?

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2016/07/21/could-blockchain-provide-the-technical-fix-to-solve-sciences-reproducibility-crisis/

--------

Stephen M. Fiore, Ph.D.

Professor, Cognitive Sciences, Department of Philosophy (philosophy.cah.ucf.edu/staff.php?id=134)

Director, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, Institute for Simulation & Training (http://csl.ist.ucf.edu/)

University of Central Florida

sfi...@ist.ucf.edu

Fiore, Steve