Perl - What about adding it to the Google's App Engine?

Peter Jarosak

May 31, 2013, 4:16:40 PM5/31/13
to orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm fairly new to Perl but have enjoyed it and it's become my hobby language I use whenever I can.

I saw this article and thought it would be great if others would be interested in supporting it.
http://blog.g14n.info/2013/05/yes-we-want-perl-on-gae.html

Thanks,
Peter

Jonathan "Duke" Leto

May 31, 2013, 5:49:05 PM5/31/13
to orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

I wanted this many years ago, as well.

Let me give you a bit of advice: The last thing you want is to get
locked into GAE.

Duke
> --

Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jona...@leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC http://letolabs.com
209.691.DUKE http://duke.leto.net
@dukeleto

Peter Jarosak

May 31, 2013, 7:33:58 PM5/31/13
to orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I'm not really locked into GAE, as there are problems with any single platform. As I learn more Perl, I'm interested in seeing it on more platforms.

It's such a quick simple step that could help make a difference, I wanted to pass it along to others that might be of a like mind.

Thanks,
Peter
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Orlando Perl Mongers" group.

Chris Prather

May 31, 2013, 8:20:20 PM5/31/13
to orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com, orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com
Sadly I don't think it'll ever happen.

​GAE is a really ... odd ... platform and the people who could implement Perl on the GAE aren't interested in using Perl on the GAE.

That is unless things have changed in the oh crap that many years since I heard GAE's execution environment described by an engineer from Google.

-Chris

Jonathan "Duke" Leto

May 31, 2013, 11:18:05 PM5/31/13
to orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com
Howdy Peter,

> Thanks. I'm not really locked into GAE, as there are problems with any single platform. As I learn more Perl, I'm interested in seeing it on more platforms.

It doesn't sound like you understand this space very well. The problem
is that GAE is PROPRIETARY and if you design your code for GAE you
NEVER GET TO LEAVE. Makes sense?

Other cloud platforms are completely open. You can just pick up and
leave and go somewhere else. Not true with GAE.

> It's such a quick simple step that could help make a difference, I wanted to pass it along to others that might be of a like mind.

Huh? What is quick or simple? Again, I estimate with high accuracy
that you are unclear about all the rugs that are under you and who is
ready to pull them out.

This is not meant as an affront. I truly want to save you from the
evil clutches of proprietary cloud lock-in. I know about these things
and have the scars to prove it.

Duke

Peter Jarosak

May 31, 2013, 11:31:59 PM5/31/13
to orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com
Understand and appreciate the advice.

My 2nd comment was referring to the request to star the item to get it added to Google's list. Even if we don't actively use the platform, I saw it as a good thing to get more Perl exposure out there.

Thanks,
Peter

Jonathan "Duke" Leto

May 31, 2013, 11:38:23 PM5/31/13
to orlando-pe...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

Just for reference, people have been starring that issue for years. I
was one of the first.

Google couldn't care less. They don't use or care about Perl.

Duke