Steve Howe and ASIA no more ...

Conan1982

Jan 10, 2013, 7:35:50 PM1/10/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Having heard earlier this evening that Steve Howe has left Asia once again is a great disappointment. I was fortunate enough to have seen the reformed band at least eight times since 2006 and seeing and hearing Steve on guitar was always one of the high points of those gigs. It was as if you were in the presence of what true a "rock god"was meant to be, but Steve Howe is actually real. I also had the opportunity to speak briefly with him as he signed a poster for me at the meet and greet at the Best Buy Theater this past October, and found him to be a true gentleman. (Ironically he was the one band member I was not able to get a photo with.)

This said, despite his departure I am sure while we will not have the exact chemistry musically that we had with all of Steve's input in the band, with the John Wetton / Geoff Downes songwriting team we are certain to get even more great songs. Add to this equation that Wetton, Downes and Palmer are all at the top of their craft musically, most of what we'll hear will reflect their excellent musicianship and songwriting skills as well. Yes, Steve's departure leaves a gaping hole in one of the few bands I, and many of us, have followed since their inception, but at the very least there will still be some exceptional new Asia music to be performed and heard; and we can always catch Steve with Yes or one of his side projects when they come around again.

Long live Asia! Thank you for still being there!

rob.chr...@shaw.ca

Jan 10, 2013, 9:04:05 PM1/10/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Conan1982
Don't worry. Wait until you see who is replacing him.
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Original Asia group. To post to this group, send email to origin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to original-asi...@googlegroups.com. If you have a Google account, visit this group for more options at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/original-asia?hl=en

Joe Kennedy

Jan 10, 2013, 10:09:22 PM1/10/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
I cannot say that I am surprised. Having said that, I am nonetheless sad and disheartened. Asia was and always will be my band. They came and went in a time when their music had a profound effect on my life. I always followed the band in its various incarnations with Mandy and Pat but if there was to be a reunion, it had to be the origina, founding members. The band gave us three stellar new collections, numerous live CD's and DVD's and proved that when on the same stage together, were a force to be reckoned. I feel very fortunate to have seen the reunited Asia over a dozen times. Through a very serious illness these past few years, their new work has given me cause for hope and inspired me to live each day for what it is because in a word, it's extraordinary.

I have followed all four members collectively and separately and hold them all in high regard. I love Steve's contributions to Asia over the years and have unbridled respect and gratitude for all he has given us. For whatever reason, I just felt the last time I saw them that this was going to be it. I am sorry I was right but the time seems right I suppose. All good things do come to an end yet again, there are new beginnings and this band has had it's share so for me, it's another milepost on the journey thirty years on.

So, as we look forward, thanks Steve for all the great memories and works we can listen to time and time again. Welcome Sam! If anything we have seen in recent hours is a glimmer of what we can expect in the coming months, we are in for a treat.

Moving forward as always....

Joe

Fernando Fulgêncio

Jan 10, 2013, 11:03:48 PM1/10/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
I´m not worried with the sad news that Steve left the band. I´m not a Howe fan. I´m an ASIA fan! And as ASIA fans, we must remember that we have experienced this kind of situation before. It´s not the first time we´ve seen ASIA without Howe and if it was great then, why it can´t be great now? The ASTRA album was amazing. Songs like Kari-anne, Summer and Days Like These are amazing as well. Pat Thrall did a great job on songs like Go, Heat of the Moment and Open Your Eyes. Howe is a great guitar player, but he isn´t the only one that can make ASIA sound good.

With Howe´s departure, I hope that the band stops this "we´re going to play the first record over and over again" bullshit and starts focusing on ASIA´s entire catalog. It´s time to hear tracks like Go, Voice of America, Too Late, After the War, Kari-anne...I´ve had enough of this "first album" madness. Now is time to hear tracks from Alpha, Astra, The & Now, Phoenix, Omega, XXX and Valkyrie!

I´m glad that Geoff, John and Carl decided to continue with ASIA. I was afraid that they would decide to finish this amazing band and I was relieved when I realized that they didn´t. It´s an honour to be able to buy new music from ASIA in 2013. It´s an honour to be able to see ASIA in concert in 2013. The world with ASIA music in it is a much better place to live.

Thank you, Geoff, John and Carl for giving ASIA one more chance. You won´t be disapointed. I´m sure I won´t.

mauricio onofre

Jan 12, 2013, 10:00:41 AM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Totally agree, The band should take another name, Every member has shown to be un.replaceable, is that what they actaully perform in us their fans, or maybe true talented musicians!, only time will tell...

mauricio onofre

Jan 12, 2013, 10:04:01 AM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Well Joe, is really this the end of the world? God bless.

Joe Kennedy

Jan 12, 2013, 11:58:21 AM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
End of the world....never. Should the band change their name...no way.

Implications aside, I think if you follow the band as a whole or individually, I do not think any of us expected this to last forever. Honestly, I am extremely satisfied with Steve's contributions 81-84 and 06-12. The man is a master and there would be no Asia without him. But all good things run their course and I always think its best to know when to fold up the tent and move on. Steve has made a choice and I support him and conversely support John, Geoff and Carl for carrying on and bringing sam aboard.

I feel the decision to carry on is a wise one and I think if you read the press releases that no one, least of all Steve, would want the band to stop because of his retirement from Asia so to speak.

As I said, I think the excitement of 2012 with so many offerings and dates played leave the band collectively on a creative high. I think it would be a shame not to explore what the future holds. As a fan, I think if you love the band, you carry on and follow them. Even when the Asia in Asia debacle occurred, I maintained faith that all would be well even though I felt JW was and is irreplaceable as the voice of Asia.

Through many permeations, I think it best to see what the next few months brings and welcome Sam with open arms. Creatively, I think his new approach to Asia classics and new music being created could be wonderful for any true fans of the band. Asia has carried on in many incarnations ver the last thirty years and I feel we owe it to the prinicples to see what the future brings. After all, they sound extremely excited so who am I to argue! :)

Joe

Claiming Victory

Jan 12, 2013, 2:04:03 PM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com

I have been a fan from the beginning and in my mind Asia is Wetton/Downes/Palmer and Howe. While they should keep the name Asia and I will continue to follow them, it will not be the same no matter who replaces Steve.

I will still look forward to a new album, a new tour and new merchandise from the band in the future but I will also continue to hold out hope that one day, down the road, Steve will return.

I wish Steve the best of luck in his future endeavours.

As Conan1982 said: LONG LIVE ASIA!!

Wetton82

Jan 12, 2013, 4:46:11 PM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
I've been a huge fan of the REAL band since its inception in 1981.  I DO NOT recognize the cover band years. I am extremely grateful for the last 7 years of musical blessings. I have seen the band 27 times since 2006 and LOVED every minute of it.  Honestly, I think that this is a temporary thing.  Sam seems like a brilliant guitar player.  I would guess that he is a hired gun to complete a recording obligation to Frontiers records.  I think that they should finally retire the band now.  There is really nothing more to prove.  They have successfully restored their musical legacy over the past 7 years.  I will support them no matter what....But I do think now that it may be time to finally close the book.  Happy New Year to all and continued good health and happiness.

Fernando Fulgêncio

Jan 12, 2013, 4:58:26 PM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
1) The band will sound the same? Absolutely not! It´s impossible to change band members and still sound the same. But that´s not the question that should be made. The real question is: the band will sound good? After all, we want to hear good music, right? I´m sure ASIA will sound good. A band with Wetton, Palmer and Downes making bad music? Very unlikely!

2) I think that we should be pleased to be able to hear ASIA music in 2013. Here we are, with Palmer, Wetton and Downes still making music together as ASIA, and people are complaining! Unbelievable! Do you prefer no ASIA at all? Do you prefer to see Wetton perform ASIA songs as a solo artist when you have the chance to see him playing these songs as ASIA, with Downes and Palmer? It makes no sense.

3) I think that Howe´s departure wasn´t very amicable. When comparing his bands (Yes, ASIA and his solo carrer), ASIA is the most prolific one: 3 great studio albuns, live albums, shows everywhere... why would  Howe prefer to abandon ASIA and concentrate on the Steve Howe trio? I know that Howe has a huge conection to Yes, but leaving ASIA, a band that makes great new music almost every year, to play Close to the Edge for the 100000000000 time? Only a few months have passed since the release of XXX!!! Why leave now? It makes no sense.

Wetton82

Jan 12, 2013, 5:13:25 PM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:58:26 PM UTC-5, Fernando Fulgêncio wrote:
[...]

And life goes on.....Who knows what the truth is?  Live, Love, and enjoy whatever it is you enjoy. I will support John, Carl, and Geoff moving forward.

Rick Boza

Jan 12, 2013, 8:39:36 PM1/12/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Fernando Fulgêncio
I think it's at the very least debatable that Asia is more prolific than Yes. Both are great bands, with a deep history and a number of impact full songs and albums.

I suspect, like me, many on this list are fans of both bands. Degrading one to the benefit of the other isn't appropriate.

The impression I get is we just don't know why Steve decided to leave, but reading into it because you don't think he could possibly want to play Close to the Edge any more as a clue is most likely way off base.

Rick
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Original Asia group. To post to this group, send email to origin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to original-asi...@googlegroups.com. If you have a Google account, visit this group for more options at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/original-asia?hl=en

Rick Boza

Jan 12, 2013, 8:46:41 PM1/12/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Joe Kennedy
Joe - I'd love to know why this didn't surprise you. The guys seemed to be getting along better than ever the past few years, and Steve seemed to be quite pleased with the results of XXX.

I will say, Steve seemed a bit different this last tour, at least in Clearwater and Orlando as the tour wound down. I attributed it to simply being tired of the road, but maybe there was more to it?

Personally I wish for the continued success of both Asia and Steve as he continues with other pursuits. I've seen Asia at least a dozen times since 2006 and Yes perhaps six or seven, and I'll certainly don't use to support both.

To me, it's a shame to see Steve move on as he brings an amazingly crisp, accurate sound to everything the band does, and I understand the folks saying it won't be the same, but "not the same" isn't necessarily "bad."  Just as I kept up with Asia through the 90's, I see no reason to stop now.

It will just be different, as it has been throughout the many different chapters over the years.

Rick
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Original Asia group. To post to this group, send email to origin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to original-asi...@googlegroups.com. If you have a Google account, visit this group for more options at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/original-asia?hl=en

Joe Kennedy

Jan 12, 2013, 11:01:27 PM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Rick:

It's really nothing more than how I felt after seeing them three times on the XXX tour. Mind you, I have seen all four in past bands going back to 1973. I guess if I were to count the times I have seen a member most, it may be Steve because of all the times I saw Yes back in the 70's. I have also seen Asia in their inception years six times. I think I have seen the guys more than most and when doing so, you can sort of get a feel for how they are on any given night. I remember the days when Steve would smile ear to ear on the Tormato and Drama tours and the original Asia tours. He has a pretty good poker face these days but that is not indicative of anything other than the man and his demeanor has changed in 25 years. Who hasn't? :)

I have also seen Steve in GTR, ABWH and the reformed Yes. Things and times change and all the guys are different night to night. What I can say is after seeing them at the Keswick in Philly, I felt the band was playing at a high level but when the show wrapped, I had a sinking feeling that this would be my last time seeing them together as a band. I can only explain it having seen the band so many times back in 82-83 and reformed 06-12 and there seemed to be a prevailing thought that kept running through my mind that all the boxes were now checked, no more things to prove, three albums in five years, five total with the orignal band with so many great live performances captured. I also felt, in a strange way, completely satisfied. Like, yeah....this was really good and if and I mean if I never saw the guys again, this would be a good way to wrap it.

I had the pleasure to talk to John several years back when he was actively recording Omega. He told me that he really felt the band was hitting its stride and that the band never got to accomplish what they wanted to back in the 80's and were now getting the opportunity to fulfill some of those ambitions 25 years on. He was excited about it but as I remember that conversation, you can only take away that once a band or a member feels as though they have accomplished what they set out to do, it's time to move on. Steve has a lot on his plate and I think the touring and commitments of the two bands was taxing and something had to give. John mentioned on his own website that with a two band commitment, something has got to give and in the case of Steve, he decided to stay with Yes.

We may never know. I am sure in the coming months some more light will be shed on the actual reasons for the change. Regardless of that, we need to respect the decisions of the parties involved. I do not think speculating on whether the band was or wasn't getting along is healthy. Everything I have seen indicates the decision is amicable and without animosity. I think it was handled with class and were it not for Carl's illness, the UK shows would have served as a proper send off to Steve. I do not think the timing of everything worked to the plans of how the band wished to make the announcement.

I digress to address some of the other posts a bit, admitting that through all of this over the last few days and reading posts here and on John's site that as Asia fans, we need to be careful. In 1984 when John returned to the band and then shortly thereafter, Steve exited and was replaced by Mandy, we were given a great work being Astra. By in large, the fan base reacted indifferently to it and Geffen did not support the release as it should have. Astra is a great collection of songs that if promoted properly, should have ruled the airwaves. I do not want to see that repeated in 2013.

In 2013, we will be offered the new Valkyrie collection and I trust whether you are an Asia fan or Steve Howe fan, note that without support, there will be no more tours and in the case of the US which requires that strong support given the state of the music industry here, we may not be afforded the opportunity to see Sam and the rest of the band. No support means no more albums and then, no more band. Like you, I will continue to support John, Geoff and Carl just as I did with Astra and when Then and Now was released with Pat Thrall filling the guitar slot. I remember being very disappointed not seeing a US tour materialize because the fans did not get behind the new work and Geffen, well being Geffen again.

I believe that things change for a reason and I hope everyone in this benefits from the change and enjoys the success and creative freedom they seek. I do not want to get into semantics about whether it's one or the other, will it be like it was or not. Hell, the last three albums were not like Asia or Alpha at all. In some cases, they were better and as such, the band evolved. I saw the original Asia back in their heyday and the profeciency, musicianship and joy in which this band played for its fans these past few years blew the old Asia away. Because they evolved and were better than they were. Steve's contributions defined the Asia sound...now that sound will evolve as it did with Mandy on record, Pat in concert and now, Sam doing both.

Joe

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:46:41 PM UTC-5, RickB wrote:
[...]

Wetton82

Jan 12, 2013, 11:28:12 PM1/12/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Amen and well said.

Jeff Vargon

Jan 13, 2013, 12:33:37 AM1/13/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Conan1982
I realized tonight after watching the Asia 30 Years On biography and later looking at Asia's past tour lists from 2006 to 2011 I've seen them ten times since they reformed. This makes Steve Howe's departure even more of a bummer. They were such an amazing group of musicians and when they played together as Asia they were unmatched. While I will continue to support all of them in whatever incarnations they are in Asia will never be as great as they have been when John Wetton, Steve Howe, Carl Palmer and Geoff Downes played together.

Peace,

Jeff

Jan 13, 2013, 3:05:57 AM1/13/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
"I think it's at the very least debatable that Asia is more prolific than Yes. Both are great bands, with a deep history and a number of impact full songs and albums."

Yes: Magnification - 2001
        Fly From Here - 2011

ASIA: Phoenix - 2008
         Omega   - 2010
         XXX - 2012
         Valkirie - 2013

Conclusion: Asia created more music than Yes in the last decade, so it´s a more prolific band. I´m not comparing ASIA to the 70´s Yes.

"The impression I get is we just don't know why Steve decided to leave, but reading into it because you don't think he could possibly want to play Close to the Edge any more as a clue is most likely way off base. I suspect, like me, many on this list are fans of both bands. Degrading one to the benefit of the other isn't appropriate."

Asia creates new music, Yes does nostalgia shows, that´s the difference between both bands. Steve has the right to prefer playing the same old songs over and over again instead of recording new music. I just think this is a strange option for a musician. Usually, they prefer to keep composing, recording and playing new music.

Asia is going to record a new album. Yes is going to do nostalgia shows playing the entire Close to the Edge album. Again. Why Steve prefers the nostalgia situation instead of Asia is a mistery to me. I compared Asia to Yes because he said that he was going to leave Asia to focus on Yes.

In 2013, we will be offered the new Valkyrie collection and I trust whether you are an Asia fan or Steve Howe fan, note that without support, there will be no more tours and in the case of the US which requires that strong support given the state of the music industry here, we may not be afforded the opportunity to see Sam and the rest of the band. No support means no more albums and then, no more band.

I´m very afraid of this. Very afraid. I´m not from USA and I´d love to see Asia too. But without support, no records, no USA tours, no world tours, no band. I fail to see why ASIA splitting up would be a good thing. They don´t have anything left to prove? Probably not, but they still have a lot of beautiful songs to make.

In the late 80, 90 and early 2000, nobody cared much about Howe. The only "battle" I´ve seen was between Wetton and Payne. In the Payne days, all the old fans wanted was Wetton back in the band. In the early 2000, a Palmer/Wetton/Downes reunion almost happened. The fans seemed to be pretty happy with the trio reunion! What about Howe´s absence? Nobody really cared back then. Why everyone is so upset now? The band started it. They called themselves the Original Asia, they were always saying that Asia couldn´t function without the four original members... The fans believed, and now we can see people saying "No Howe, No Asia". I´ve never heard this before. I´ve heard "No Wetton, no Asia" over a thousand times, but Howe? Never! Why am I hearing this now? It´s Asia´s fault! They started this myth.