3.0 and "communicating with the rest of the world"

scott molinari

Jun 17, 2016, 5:04:19 AM6/17/16
to OrientDB
Hi,

Will there be any major changes to the binary protocol other than improvements and extensions in 3.0? I mean, will it be completely rewritten? Like maybe using gRPC or some other more standard like protocol?

If there are plans to do a complete rework like this, I'd like to suggest getting the driver devs (as far as you don't program them yourselves) into the development loop very early. Because, creating a driver after the general release would mean creating a driver would become a big hairy monster and it might cause a serious loss of attraction.

I've seen it happen before. A company I know well, in their new version of their software, rewrote a lot of the core code in an application that also performed as a good extension platform. Although extensions aren't exactly the same as drivers, in a way, they are very similar. They are similar, because they both promote adoption of the software. The software the company created was very popular in the earlier version, because so many devs wrote extensions to create new features and even new applications for that "platform". Needless to say, with the new version and lack of attention to the 3rd party dev community, they lost the majority of 3rd party dev support. And now, the software is just a shadow of what it used to be.

Maybe you already have this in mind. I hope you did. At any rate, I hope I could help.

Scott

scott molinari

Jun 26, 2016, 6:53:04 AM6/26/16
to OrientDB
I'd like to answer my own question. It looks like the ODB development team want to open up the discussions (and pursuing developments) for 3.0.

Here is a description of the new process.

Scott

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Jun 27, 2016, 3:44:50 AM6/27/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

Exactly, we really hope this new process will help the communication between the community/contributors and the core team. Please feel free to comment directly on the specific issues

Thanks!

Luigi

--

---